BMW Werkz banner

Dash Lights

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  POWER///M 
#1 ·
Is it possible to change the bulbs in your dash, and other controls

#3 ·
YES. Run a search, This has been discussd previously. There is even a DIY. Some of the control lights cannot be changed because they have a colored plastic lense thrugh which the light passes. The rest are colored LEDs that go through a transluscent white surface. Good luck.

#9 ·
Come on you want to get rid of the BMW amber color. I like the white gauges but I think they would look too weird in my car and I would definately be tempted to keep the lights amber for night.

#11 ·
Originally posted by B3M2W5i@Feb 17 2005, 12:04 AM
i think i would get the white gauges without the m
[snapback]293502[/snapback]​

umm, all the white gauges have the M on them :blink:

#12 ·
To get to your cluster, you gotta take out the air bag and steering wheel. Be careful with the airbag. Its actually simple. Disconnect negative battery cable, wait 10 minutes, disconnect the little orange plug under the steering. The airbag bolts are the torque kind. Take out the bag and disconnect the plug behind it. Place airbag on its metal back side. Mark your steering teeth and unbolt steertin wheel. There are two torque screws on top that hold it in place, undo those and it slides out. After you got the cluster in your hands I think there are 5 bolts you have to take out to take the cluster apart to get to the plates and bulbs. I had some face plates like the ones on the ebay link, but they are all white. No M or anything on there. If you want them Ill sell them to you for $20. I took them out and got the that sexy bmw amber color back. If I were you Id keep it stock. But if you want the face plates send me a PM.

-Serge

#15 ·
I don't want to change the gauge faces at all. all I want to do is change the color of the bulbs, Stock they are amber, I would prefer them to be more red like the color of the stock illuminated shift knob. I have the illuminated shift knob and it lights up red and doesn't match any of the dash lights.

#16 ·
I just did this to replace burnt out stock bulbs.

First of all the bulbs do not determine the color...they shine clear bright not amber. There is a plastic translucent part in the gauge cluster that the light shines through to give it that orangey color so your f'ed there :blink:

Also I did not have to take the steering wheel off. Just the 2 screws that hold the cluster in then disconnect the 3 harnesses and slide it out to the right of the steering wheel!

#18 ·
The bulb is just white and shines through the orange color on your dash and CD player buttons. You would have to buy replacements for each button which would be a lot of work. I would recommend just leaving it or buy a touch scream TV to go there in place of most of your dash execpt the A/C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.