BMW Werkz banner

I Just Hit A Pothole

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  peterkulesza 
#1 ·
It is dark and raining and I hit a really sharp pothole in the road.

Construction crews are working on the road and left a sharp hole in the asphalt with no sign warning of it.

It was really bad, I mean a huge loud BANG when I hit. Something slammed hard when I hit the far side of the pothole, I don't know if it was the rim hitting the far edge of pothole or the suspension hitting as it travelled up as far as it could go.

In all my years I have NEVER seen or hit a pothole that bad, and of course it had to happen in my 330i instead of my Jeep :(

What should I check for damage?

#3 ·
Your rims could've been warped by the impact, check them, if the pot hole was really deep, i'd visually check the front bumber, side fenders, and the panel under the engine for cracks or the like. Would also check the tires themselves, could've been deformed. Granted I am no mechanic, however, my rims have been warped by the previous owner doing the same thing.

Dough

#4 ·
Same thing happened to me the other night. I was merging onto a highway at night. Fast merge too. Going about 50mph and looking at my side mirror for traffic when I felt and heard >BOOM<.

When I took a look at the damage after I parked, there was a bulge portruding from the side of the tire, about 1 inch in diameter.

After some research, I found out that the tire is pretty much useless. And even moreso, I had to replace it ASAP. The guy at the tire shop told me it's the same thing as having a broken bone that didn't puncture the skin. It's not gonna work.

So take a look at your tire. If you see a bulge on the side of the tire, get it replaced ASAP. Then have them check out the rim for any damage.

Aside from that, good luck!!

#5 ·
Make sure you keep checking the tire that hit the pothole for about a week or so, because it could potentally bubble and bubble = blowout. Thats not good. This happened to my mom's car, but i caught it before it blewout.

If the rim looks good, there is most likely no suspension damage... to be extra safe, open the hood, and check out the strut tower for any weakness or cracks

#7 ·
the tire comment is EXCELLENT. this happens, and can kill you.

1. rim damage will show up on the lip (where the balancing weights are attached). follow carefully along the circumference for any deviation form perfectly round.
2. remember that the tire bubble can BE ON THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.