BMW Werkz banner

Taking Apart Lower Dash

862 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jshearer 
#1 ·
Has anyone taken apart their lower dash underneath the sterring wheel. I am trying to remove my aftermarket cd changer unit that is fm modulated i believe. It has never worked and was already in the car when i bought it. I have now put in a cd player and don't need it. I have posted in the audio section but this is not really related just need to know if anyone has done it and how to do it.

I got the outside cover dropped down and there is a 2-3 inch thick piece in there that i need to remove. The bolts on it are sunk in about 3 inches. If anyone has done this, do I just need to remove these bolts or does it attach some other way also.

#2 ·
I haven't done this for a couple years so I'm a little fuzzy, as I needed down there to replace the fan resistor. There are three screws for the bottom panel. The top two are on the left and right of the steering wheel and have a plastic screw cover over them. Then one is vertical on the bottom of the center-side. It should drop down at this point. You'll need to disconnect the little speaker (I believe for the OBC) that is in the middle to pull it out completely.

#3 ·
Thanks I found all the screws but it would not pop out because it was still underneath the center console peice so i just rested it and did the work i needed to do without it coming out. Although there is a piece of a support that fell out while i was working that i did not unscrew and mus have come loose somehow. I am gonna start a new post when i take a picture of it and see if anyone knows what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.