BMW Werkz banner

Radiator Leaking Need Help!

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jkh2828 
#1 ·
Need some guidance. On sunday, (right before the bowl) my radiator starting leaking. At first I thought it was a hose. After removing parts to see better it appears it is coming from just below the expansion tank. It is leaking between the expansion and where it attaches. Can this be repaired? It is a 4cylinder car. The dealer said I could just replace the expansion tank. The service manual says it is integrated. Does anyone know?

#3 ·
there is a blue plug down there and that might be the cause...the expansion tank is sold seperately...that leds me to believe that one can replace it.

i would:
take rad off completely
run some water through it with a hose
locate the leak that way
then check all fittings and connections

#4 ·
Sorry for the hijack...

Is getting coolant all over the pullies and lower engine block bad when you change out the thermostat? Or does it just make them squeel a bit, and then burn off?

As for your case - I think it is one unit because I've heard if you break off connections on the top side, you need a new rad, not just the tank - but I could be totally wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.