BMW Werkz banner

Is This Really Necessary?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  YoungExec728 
#1 ·
understeer has the fan mod delete "kit" for 90 bucks. On my car, I just took the damn fan off lol and left it off. never overheated, of course it never went through summer though. Anyways, is what I'm doing unsafe and should I really get this kit?

#5 ·
agreed. you're going to need it when it hits summer. The new sensor turns the other fan on earlier to keep the engine cool. And the thermostat opens earlier.

#7 ·
if you are taking out the fan during the summer months then yes you will need the water wetter, lower thermostat, and sensor. I keep my fan out all the time, even during the summer. Even when i sit in bumper to bumper traffic for >2 i still do not overheat with the fan delete kit. i haven't tested my car though in summer heat w/rush hour traffic though.

you don't need the water pump nut though, its just for looks. The gaskets and seals you'll need because you have to replace the thermostat. I'd also suggest getting the aluminum thermostat housing if don't already have it.

#8 ·
Just curious since I am not considering this, but how many more hps does this mod give you? I am assuming this is why you do it.

#9 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Jan 20 2005, 11:14 PM
understeer has the fan mod delete "kit" for 90 bucks. On my car, I just took the damn fan off lol and left it off. never overheated, of course it never went through summer though. Anyways, is what I'm doing unsafe and should I really get this kit?
[snapback]275882[/snapback]​

If you want to use your A/C in the summer, don't plan on stopping for long. Beleive me, the fan is needed for the A/C to work in stopped traffic. :idea2

#14 ·
Originally posted by bigred318@Jan 23 2005, 11:25 AM
how can i tell if my water pump was replaced? also has anyone done business with understeer.com and has it been fast.successful? Also anyone have this kit? install time difficulty etc?

David
[snapback]277450[/snapback]​

The only way to tell if your water pump has been replaced is to pull it out and check. I've done buisness with understeer numerous times, Chris is the guy that always hooks me up and is very knowledgable. Also, if you want anything UUC get it from understeer because they can get anything UUC and will be cheaper and they usually don't charge shipping. As far as shipping times, if they have it in stock they usually ship next day and takes about a week to get to southern california. If they don't have it in stock they will drop ship it from whoever manufacturer then it depends on whenever they get it in.

I have this exact kit along with UUC pulleys all ordered from undeersteer. You will really feel a difference in throttle response, acceleration and torque with these two mods. The actual install of the fan delete took me less than 30 mins. The hardest part was putting in the new thermostat because some of the bolts are hard to reach. Then it took me about another hour to flush my radiator and change coolants. It took me so long because the damn bolt under the headers is hard to get to and it's inevitable to get stuff all over you. Not only that, but whoever did it before me torqued the bolt on too much so it was a huge PITA to get it off. Let me know if anyone needs help with it.

And yes you can drive with your AC on. Keep in mind once you are traveling over 30 mph your belt driven fan is useless because convection cooling is far more efficient than the fan. The fan is just eating HP and creating drag at that point. The fan is more for cooling when at idle or very slow moving traffic.

#15 ·
hey did the kit from understeer come with pretty good instructions on the instal/ radiator flush etc? also did you install your underdrive pulleys youself too? i think this might be a mod that i might want to do, seems like it will give a noticeable difference... .

but say i get stuck in stop and go in seattle... on a hot day what could happen?

David

#16 ·
the kit doesn't come with any instructions, but you can get all the info from thier website and other DIY websites. I did install the pulleys myself also, it was very easy.

I used to live in seattle before i got transferred and i don't remember it getting that hot, just really humid. However, if you did get stuck in traffic you run the risk of overheating without the fan, but if you have the watter wetter, thermostat, etc you should be fine. Check with other people with this mod who have kept it during the summer months though just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.