BMW Werkz banner

'87 325 exhaust and intake question

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Ski 
#1 ·
okay guys i have a 1987 325es and i want to put an intake on it what would you guys recommened? and i have a ractive exhaust (muffler only) is it worth putting on my car until i get a full cat? or will it not give me anymore power if i put an intake on my car before the exhaust?

#2 ·
Welcome BMdubnU_325es! B)

there are no CAI kits for e30's, the best you can do is put on a conefilter and a heat shield, and even then there's not gonna be a very noticeable amount of extra power. if your stock exhaust is in good shape then hold on to it, its a pretty free-flowing exhaust as it is and the only need to replace it would be for a stainless steel cat-back system that sounds better/louder, dont expect much hp gain from that either. a chip is the best way to go for some noticeable gain, and you may get more out of it if you already have ur intake and exhaust on

#3 ·
hey MrM3 thanks alot for your response you helped me out...i was talkin to my cuz today the one who owns the shop and he said just drop a K&N in my car and it will be the vurtual same as having an intake yet with out the cost and hassle of taking out the air box and screwing around with all that stuff you know? and the exhaust is goin on...mostly for look but its a DTM pipe so it looks good on the BMW's you know?

#4 ·
about the CAI kit ya my cuz was goin to custom build me a cool air because they specilize in custom exhausts and intakes but thats for the info anyways so i am not lookin for one in mags and online!

#6 ·
a K&N dropin will do nothing... same w/ a cone, cept a cone will be a little louder & sound more agressive in high RPM's

if you're gonna upgrade your exhaust, get a stock exhaust out of a 325i.... you'll have dual 1.75" (i THINK) pipes going all the way back instead of one 2.25 (again... i think that's the dimentions... not positive... i'll take a look around)

#7 ·
OreoGaborio thanks man...i live in NH also...concord area tho...thanks i appritiate you looking around...and have you even been to the bavarian motorsport snow or shine show? i was thinking about goin to it in Oct. is it good? the pics from there show some nasty beemers...and you dont think that dual ractive DTM pipe would be better then a 325i dual pipe? thanks

#8 ·
hehe, i love the newbies :D ... gotta correct u a little here, bro (s-all good, dude, we all gotta start somewhere)

Bavarian AUTOsport SHOW & shine ... and it was awesome... i'm definitly going again this year :thumbs :thumbs

welcome to the BMW enthusiast scene... we call em Bimmers, not beamers/beemers... beamers/beemers are considered BMW motorcycles... it's a long story, but i'm happy to share if u want me to

pretty much any header setup is'nt gonna be worth the money untill you get some serious engine mods in... the downfall of the engines we have is that simple bolt-ons won't yeild big gains... aftermarket headers won't give u much at all... but if u get the entire exhaust out of a 325i, it'll breath a little better... u can then get an aftermarket muffler like a Borla or something to make it have a nicer deeper and if u want, louder sound

#9 ·
i beg to differ. A K&N cone will make a noticiable difference. I had a K&N drop in panel filter and i still felt a difference when the car hit 4 1/5 rpms. I think if you are going to do any intake mods like extrude honing (which im getting done soon) you need a cone filter to start.

#10 ·
Originally posted by BMdubnU_325es@Jul 31 2003, 04:21 PM
about the CAI kit ya my cuz was goin to custom build me a cool air because they specilize in custom exhausts and intakes but thats for the info anyways so i am not lookin for one in mags and online!
thats cool that you can get a custom job done from your cousin with the CAI, if he custom builds heatshields let me know how much he's asking for them

#11 ·
Originally posted by Fox@Aug 1 2003, 09:23 PM
i beg to differ. A K&N cone will make a noticiable difference. I had a K&N drop in panel filter and i still felt a difference when the car hit 4 1/5 rpms. I think if you are going to do any intake mods like extrude honing (which im getting done soon) you need a cone filter to start.
that's called your immagination :wink

yes, it may increase performance... but not by much... the only reason why i have one is because it was free from a friend.... and it's not even on my car anymore :lol:

i'll put it back on once i get a heatshield & brackets for it though... u can hear the difference a little bit in the upper RPM's... but it's really not much of a noticable difference in performance

#12 ·
OreoGaborio...hey thanks for the corrections...lol and thanks for all of the info that you guys have given me...i cant wait to go to the SNOW & SHINE show maybe you can check out what has been done to the car thanks to your advice...and MrM3 i live in NH and my cuzs shot is based in NH but your "profile" if you will says that you are located in Houston? but if you still want me to get a price for you i would be more then happy to. I know that he charges 50 for labor. but i can find out a better estimate for you guys. and i was just wondering what kind of cars do you all have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.