BMW Werkz banner

Radio Quit Working

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
hi guys.

i recently had new exterior and interior driver's side door handles installed in my 1995 318IS.

upon picking the car up, the radio doesn't work. the battery was disconnected (not sure why) so i typed in my five digit code as usual but still got nothing (i should mention that my LCD hasn't worked in awhile so i didn't know if it was even asking my for my code, i just assumed so and typed it in).

after this didn't work i checked the radio fuses (there are two of them). they looked fine but i changed them anyway and it still doesn't work.

any suggestions as to what my mechanic may have done or any other ideas as to why my radio decided to quit working?

thanks in advance!

jay

#5 ·
Hi, I have an 96 e36 328is and I disconnected my battery once to work on the radio and upon plugging it all back in and reconnecting the battery, the radio didn't work and I freaked and checked and double checked all the connections and when it still didn't work, I gave up and went back into the house and waited till the next day and lo and behold, the radio gave me the code input so I punched in the code and everything worked just like before. I don't know why this happened but it seems like the radio needed to reset overnight or over a period of time in order to restore it's functions. Strange as it seems, the second time I took the radio out to work on the dim display problem, the radio went back in and it gave me the code input right away and I didn't have to wait overnight like the first time....very strange electricals on these cars.

#6 ·
BMW has a bulletin on this issue on their TIS software. For some reason,. some radios, after being unplugged and then replugged loose their code, and i mean they sort of loose the programming that tells them waht code you have to punch to make it work..
this was a production defect..
IS the radio is alredy worn out, light burned and all. just get another at ebay/

My radio always work great, until it started to shut itself up druing operation, and i would have to take the fuses out. then it would come back and the off,

i replaced what seemed a blown capacitor insede the radio, no luck, the thing was gone. so dont freak out/
it happens, and so you have to go looking for another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.