BMW Werkz banner

Sound Dampening Removal

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  97alpineM3 
#1 ·
Cause I dont have a clue... its rather sticky... and doesnt come up with a paint scraper easy either...

Thanks,

Les

#3 ·
I removed as much as I could of the original sound dampening material before i installed dynamat extreme. It was rather difficult to do because it doesn't come out easily. I used multiple razor blades, a lot of undenatured alcohol (Home Depot), and a lot of goo gone. Hope this helps. Good luck

#7 ·
Use the hair dryer first and get as much off as you can, then follow it with some alcohol and goo gone.

I used a hair dryer as well, I figured that was a given. My bad

#8 ·
Alcohol and goo gone work the exact same way, alcohol is much cheaper though.

#10 ·
Ok... before and after the removal...

As you can tell.. its all gone.. from the front seats back.. there were like 6 or so panels of it... I know non-M cars have more of it... so I was thankful of that... some of it I still have to take some more time and work at it.. due to half of its really goooooy and the other half just pulls up with some heat.. I will worry about the gooy stuff later..

Finished and cleaned product...

And.. another just cause its clean...

Thanks for the help guys...

Peace,

Les

#12 ·
Cause.. its in the way... its slightly heavy.. and yea.. it was in my way.. the whole interior is getting sanded later next year.. and I'm just helping the fabrication process prior to actually fabricating it. Cause once I rip the entire interior out.. I'm not going to drive the car for a while.. cause the engine is coming out at the same time.. so I'm just preparing for the future.. less work then.. cause I'm going to have a crap load of work as it is..

Werd,

Les

#14 ·
ive doen it to plenty of cars using dry ice and a chisle then goo gone then some nice polish to give it some shine

#15 ·
I wouldnt exactly say its 10 pounds.. but in a non-M car there is about twice as much as I pulled out of my car.. and I did pull a lot out... Pull your back seat up.. its not hard.. it just pops out.. pull it up.. and see for your self how much is there...

Interesting idea and method.. 545ismg.. I dont have any dry ice.. but thanks for the insight..

Peace,

Les

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.