BMW Werkz banner

325ic Cold Start Problem

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  luckycat 
#1 · (Edited)
:confused Hi, this is my first post! Lucky I have a problem, or I might never have found this site!
I am a fairly competent BMW wrench guy, having owned three other cars. I have changed drive shafts, replaced timing belts, and other routine maintenace proceedures, but this one is very puzzling.
Last night, I went for a late drive. I live in Ohio, and it was very cold, about
7 degrees. (or so said the on board computer). The car stated instantly, and would idle, but any attempt to rev the engine, resulted in stalling. After allowing it to warm up to full operating temp, same thing! I can drive it, but it will not tach past 2k! Has almost no power. It was fine when I drove home yesterday and the car has been recently been tuned. (new plugs and wires) Too damn cold to play around under the hood, I suspect a stuck cold-start valve, or maybe a stuck
air flow sensor. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jim (luckycat)

#2 ·
Whooo!
Stop! I found it! Unbelievable, I started thinking, ( a good thing to do before you tear the whole bimmer apart) and took a close look at the MAS (mass air flow sensor) The Yahoos at my oil change station neglected to clip the air filter back in place, which was hanging down and had managed to completely clog the MAS with snow! Two minutes to remove the unit, ten to let it de-thaw over a heat vent, a little carb cleaner to de-schmuck it, and VOILA! a perfectly running 325IC!

God I love these cars, so straight-forward and logical.

Thanks for reading my post. I'll leave it in case someone else has a
similar complaint.

Thanks again, Jim (luckycat)

Thanks too to Bentley for their excellent book!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.