BMW Werkz banner

Coolant

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  liquidtiger720 
#1 ·
My 97 528 has developed numerous small volume leaks since the day I bought it. Currently the thermostat housing has a small leak. The dealer questioned the color of my coolant suggesting that I did not use BMW coolant even though I have used nothing else - It always turns green even though it is blue when I put it in.
What am I doing wrong.? :goodness:

#2 ·
I have been wrestling with this issue-on this forum- for quite some time trying to clarify my own confusions. I know some will disagree but I am going to say it:

A. First let us forget about the coolant color, to me it is just a dye and quite frankly it means nothing.
B. Be it green, gold, blue, pink or orange, is it? Some companies did pick orange to distinguish this type of antifreeze from conventional American coolant, which is green or gold. In fact my new Jeep GC has it in pink/orange.
C. If we mix conventional antifreeze with an OAT type in the aluminum system especially if not protected by these types; we will be sending an open invitation to severe corrosion to the system.
D. The most important factor here is to CHANGE COOLANT on time. I do use the BMW recommended stuff at a mere extra $4 over the after market stuff. Not a big deal!

As to the leaking problem? Replace the existing with an original t-housing with new gaskets, pour the recommended stuff-whatever the color may be-and take it from there.
Good luck

#3 ·
Originally posted by billB@Dec 12 2004, 12:41 PM
I have been wrestling with this issue-on this forum- for quite some time trying to clarify my own confusions. I know some will disagree but I am going to say it:

A. First let us forget about the coolant color, to me it is just a dye and quite frankly it means nothing.
B. Be it green, gold, blue, pink or orange, is it? Some companies did pick orange to distinguish this type of antifreeze from conventional American coolant, which is green or gold. In fact my new Jeep GC has it in pink/orange.
C. If we mix conventional antifreeze with an OAT type in the aluminum system especially if not protected by these types; we will be sending an open invitation to severe corrosion to the system.
D. The most important factor here is to CHANGE COOLANT on time. I do use the BMW recommended stuff at a mere extra $4 over the after market stuff. Not a big deal!

As to the leaking problem? Replace the existing with an original t-housing with new gaskets, pour the recommended stuff-whatever the color may be-and take it from there.
Good luck
[snapback]248576[/snapback]​
i agree taht changing the coolant on time is important.

does the coolant really change to green? I was very confused when i flushed my radiator the other day and it came out green. it was blue when the coolant was first put in (new radiator about 2 years ago.). i even got worried about mixing the coolant types.

#4 ·
Originally posted by liquidtiger720+Dec 14 2004, 07:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liquidtiger720 @ Dec 14 2004, 07:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Dec 12 2004, 12:41 PM

A. First let us forget about the coolant color, to me it is  just a dye and quite frankly it means nothing.

As to the leaking problem?  Replace the existing  with an original t-housing with new gaskets, pour the recommended stuff-whatever the color may be-and take it from there.
Good luck

does the coolant really change to green? I was very confused when i flushed my radiator the other day and it came out green. it was blue when the coolant was first put in (new radiator about 2 years ago.). i even got worried about mixing the coolant types.
[snapback]250051[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Is it possible that the green coolant was sitting in your engine prior to adding the blue one? Just a thought :dunno

#5 ·
[/quote]

Is it possible that the green coolant was sitting in your engine prior to adding the blue one? Just a thought :dunno
[snapback]251615[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I dont think so, coolant has never been changed. the radiator is 2 years old.
im not too worried about it. im just sticking to blue now.

#6 ·
Being on the wrong end of cooling system issues myself, I highly recommend the BMW coolant. Regardless of color like billb suggests. If there is a blue and white propeller on the bottle, I'm using it.

As for the blue coolant turning green, unless corosion in the system is yellow, then you had green (or yellow) stuff in your engine when you did the rad swap. I used nearly 10 gallons of distilled water to flush mine last year.

#7 ·
[snapback]251615[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I dont think so, coolant has never been changed. the radiator is 2 years old.
im not too worried about it. im just sticking to blue now.
[snapback]251939[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Sorry for my misunderstanding but I am not so sure if I read you correct: the car is 97, the radiater is 2 years old? and the coolant has never been changed? How? and yes I would stick with the original as you and Schilke said.

#8 ·
Originally posted by liquidtiger720+Dec 14 2004, 01:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liquidtiger720 @ Dec 14 2004, 01:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Dec 12 2004, 12:41 PM

A. First let us forget about the coolant color, to me it is  just a dye and quite frankly it means nothing.

As to the leaking problem?  Replace the existing  with an original t-housing with new gaskets, pour the recommended stuff-whatever the color may be-and take it from there.
Good luck

[/b][/quote]

:banghead I have seen this happen after the last two changes in my car - I know I put BMW blue in, but when it leaks out it is lime green. There couldn't have been anything left in the last time since I flushed the engine with clean water numerous times before refilling.

#9 ·
Originally posted by mum528+Dec 17 2004, 02:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mum528 @ Dec 17 2004, 02:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by liquidtiger720@Dec 14 2004, 01:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-billB
@Dec 12 2004, 12:41 PM

Good luck

:banghead I have seen this happen after the last two changes in my car - I know I put BMW blue in, but when it leaks out it is lime green. There couldn't have been anything left in the last time since I flushed the engine with clean water numerous times before refilling.
[snapback]252691[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Alrighty I'll do my best to UN :banghead for you; so bear with me here:
Your situation reminds me of the European coolant called Glysantin made by BASF, most Europeans use it. The claim is Glysantin provide protection to the aluminum cylinder head from corrosion by building a a film on the parts of the cooling system: coolant pump T stat. etc.
This particular coolant belongs to the reddish/brownish family of coolants. In fact it does change color to green after it had been used.

Now your BMW coolant change from blue=fresh to green=old. Which all in all = USED/OLD antifreeze to signal you for change! I know you like :yezfunny I am just thinking a loud with you. ANYONE?

#11 ·
[/quote]

Sorry for my misunderstanding but I am not so sure if I read you correct: the car is 97, the radiater is 2 years old? and the coolant has never been changed? How? and yes I would stick with the original as you and Schilke said.
[snapback]252683[/snapback]​
[/quote]

car is a 95 e34. my sister crashed it about 2 years ago (2oo1 or 2002, i forget) and had to have a new radiator. so the radiator is about 2 years old, and hasnt had a coolant change since it was put in (well, now it has). i bought bmw blue cause i thought it was blue, but it came out green? so hopefully the green and blue dont sludge. if it does...how would i unsludge it, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.