BMW Werkz banner

Platinum Plugs, What's Wrong With It.

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  schilke 
#1 ·
I hear lot of ppl saying that do not use platinum plugs. I have them and already put 20k miles. So far I have not experienced any problems.
Am I in trouble? Should I switch back to Bosch / NGK copper? or NGK Iridium?
Also is NGK iridium dual electrode plug? I think BMW requires dual electrode plugs.

Thanks

K

#2 ·
there's been a lot of talk about it, I think there is a FAQ up in the FAQ section. I am with you though. THe previous owner put them in my car and nothing seems to be wrong. I have been tempted to spend the $8 on the copper +2's and try them to see what the difference is.

#4 ·
NGK Iridiums are 1 electrode. Here are the ones i use NGK-BKR6EIX. I was reffered them by an M3 track driver. I like them, but can't really tell the difference from the Bosch supers.

I forget the argument regarding using platinum plugs, but it was reason enough for me to stray away. Do a search, i'm sure you'll find something

#5 ·
Originally posted by '89 635 csi@Dec 15 2004, 06:50 PM
I know it's an older car but I have used Bosch Platinum +2 in my 635 for years!
I also use Mobil 1 and change it every 3000 miles.
[snapback]251657[/snapback]​
I use Mobile 1 as well...why do you change oil so often? I change every 5k and even I've been told that's pretty often.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Deloriant+Dec 16 2004, 01:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Deloriant @ Dec 16 2004, 01:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-'89 635 csi@Dec 15 2004, 06:50 PM
I know it's an older car but I have used Bosch Platinum +2 in my 635 for years!
I also use Mobil 1 and change it every 3000 miles.
[snapback]251657[/snapback]​
I use Mobile 1 as well...why do you change oil so often? I change every 5k and even I've been told that's pretty often.
[snapback]251912[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

same here...nothing but mobil 1. i also change every 5k and that is just about right so i've heard. 2-3k is just overdoing it...its not necessary.

#8 ·
Not sure what the topic of this thread is anymore, but here goes:

1 - plugs

Local stealer is selling bosch platinum +4's for $13 each. Had them in for 12K miles so far. No issues. Just wish I would have paid less. So I don't buy the fact that other people say don't use them. Sorry Jll, we can't seem to agree on anything...

2 - oil

Chances are if you are driving an e36, you have high mileage. Changing the oil every 3-7K is an inexpensive insurance policy -- regardless of what oil you use. It could mean the difference between your engine lasting 250K and your engine going over 300K.

Trouble is, if you are not the original owner of it, you have know way of knowing if the previous owners took care of it.

Anyone who thinks they should follow the little green lights on the dash board (or change the oil every 7-12K) will be in for a big surprise right around 180-200K miles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.