BMW Werkz banner

How Noisy Is It Inside Your E36

11K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  xxxbimmer 
#1 ·
I like it when it is very quiet inside a car. More wind noise than I would like filters into mine.... not quite the silence I dream about. Just wanted to know how it is with your cars.

#4 ·
it seems like when i get to about 60 mph i get a slight whiste coming into my car, but nothing major.

#5 ·
i usually don't notice much because my music is up and the subs pound hard. but when that is off i can definitely hear the engine and some other noises, nothing bothersome though. it is more quiet than other cars i have had or driven though. If you want you car even more quiet though you can look into dynomat extreme and that sort of thing, it will help to cancel out noise.

#6 ·
I always have my sun roof vented...that creates a lot of noise...not sure if you have that closed.

I can't really hear it though, my exhaust rumbles too much to hear anything else in the car at freeway speed =P

#7 ·
It could be that the rubber surrounding your windows needs replacing. Often, new, soft rubber will mold to your windows better at speed and not produce as much wind noise.

#8 ·
I can't really recall any situations where I hear too much road noise.

Could be a bunch of things, bad seals around windows. Tires that give lots of road noise.

You could replace the seals then buy sound baffling material to put into your doors if its still too noisy for you.

#9 ·
Get some quiet tires if the road noise is bothering you.
My pirilli Pzero nero M/S's are much quieter than any other tire I have had and they handle extremely well compaired to the last two sets I've had. Best of the 3.

As for the wind noise, I am not really sure. Tire noise is a large part of the wind noise you may think you are hearing.

#10 ·
I have a couple of rattles inside (B-pillar, door handles), i guess its because of some plastic interior parts which make some noise when driving thru bumps. But somethimes its the interior noise is louder going thru umpaved roads, could be chassis related but my suspension system is ok.

As far as tires, Bitcore gave a good sugestion. I might change my Contis for Pirellis Nero M+S. Contis Suck, too noisy!!!!

#12 ·
The nero's were rated highest ultra high preformance tire on tirerack.com, and it shows. I can't believe they are only a hundred bucks for 225/55/16.

Yes, continentals are OEM on a buncha cars, and they do suck. My dad got some on his jag XKR and I noticed it's much harsher and noiser than the pirillis he had on them before. (his wheels are *HUGE*, 150$ for the conti-crap-o-matics, I can only imagine what the pirilli's costed)

#14 ·
these cars are madeto sound a certain way......the good way.

inside and out, ur windows make noise so u know when its up,
the heavy sound ur door makes
the sound of idle.....vs. the sound when u floor it.......ur trunk, air vents, wipers,
the sound of the bumps in the road, when u turn, brake ect. ect.ect..

all were designed to sound EXACTLY how they do to put you in the
ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE. if thats not for you.........try out a lexus of something like that.

an e36 is a beefy sex machine! its supposed to make a little noise.... otherwise the ladies wouldnt know ur coming to get them.

also.....anyone else ever notice that a 325is is much louder than an M3 when on the throttle?????? i notice it all the time......its funny.

maybe u need to get a better sound system........or earplugs.
Mark

#15 ·
When I bought my 94 325 six mos ago all four of the doors squeaked at every bump in the road. I dressed the rubber gasket with “KIWI” silicone (the stuff you use to waterproof shoes) and it completely fixed the problem. Other than that no real complaints about obnoxious noises>

#16 ·
You could add some dynamat to your door panels and such - I agree though with the others, some tire models will dramatically increase road noise. All in all, I actually think it's just right - it's not a cadillac, you should be able to hear those tires breaking loose from the pavement when you go around a hairpin going 40mph... more fun than an Xbox.

#17 ·
Originally posted by culkj@Dec 14 2004, 12:47 PM
When I bought my 94 325 six mos ago all four of the doors squeaked at every bump in the road. I dressed the rubber gasket with “KIWI” silicone (the stuff you use to waterproof shoes) and it completely fixed the problem. Other than that no real complaints about obnoxious noises>
[snapback]250261[/snapback]​
WD-40 does this rather well also :)

#18 ·
yeah my interiors a little noiser than id like sometimes, but then again.. come warm weather, opening up the windows/sunroof, thats when you want that engine noise and wind baby

im hating winter right now... except if it snows, of course

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.