BMW Werkz banner

'93 325i Won't Start

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  motown3 
#1 ·
215k miles

Hoping somebody can help here.

Car started and ran just fine this morning when I moved it out of the driveway for the lawncare people.

Went to run an errand 3 hours later and it wouldn't start. Cranked just fine, and acted like it wanted to start.

Jumpered the relay socket on terminals 30 & 87. Could hear fuel pump running but still no start.

Replaced fuel filter. Jumpered the relay again and was able to get it to turn over once and it ran for a few seconds. Couldn't get it to start again.

At this point, I'm wondering about the fuel pump (original) based on the age and mileage on the car. I imagine it is possible for the pump to sound like it is running but not generate enough fuel pressure.

Has any body else had this problem or something like it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
So no codes are showing up? Have you tried the self test procedure?

If you can access the fuel pump itself, give it a few good whacks on the outside. Believe it or not, this can often get it to at least start for a bit - and that would definitely show you where the fault is.

How many miles do you have on the O2 sensor? You might try checking the plugs to see what kind of condition they're in. Also, check the vacuum lines to see if there are any cracked or damaged ones. That's all I can think of right now....

#4 ·
215K ? Gotta love em.. Mine is a 93 325i 197K.

When were the timing chain and gears replaced? If you are worn, it could jump on the gear. When it started for a moment did it sound ok? If not timing or Fuel, might try ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.