BMW Werkz banner

Clutch Is Gone :(

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  supark 
#1 ·
Clutch in my 318i apparently blew last night...anyone have any ideas how much it would cost to get replaced at the Stealership?

#3 ·
my clutch is in good shape, it's a stock from the dealer. It's from a 325i, i'll sell it to you for $100, with only 5,000 miles on it. I've got a C/F DF. let me know if your interested.

#5 ·
Anyone have any info on the clutch kit on Bavauto? It seems like a pretty good kit at a pretty good price...

#8 ·
sachs didn't last for crap on my 3000GT when I put a brand new one in. 3 hard launches and it was gone.

#9 ·
Just to be curious, how many miles do you have on your Bimmer Blanton? I have a 1998 328i with 80K and I was just wondering when I could expect clutch problems...thanks

-DR

#10 ·
Originally posted by robbins6103@Dec 2 2004, 11:06 AM
Just to be curious, how many miles do you have on your Bimmer Blanton? I have a 1998 328i with 80K and I was just wondering when I could expect clutch problems...thanks

-DR
[snapback]241980[/snapback]​
My first bimmer 1995 318i- totaled it at 162K. Still had original clutch with slight slippage when really launching it. So it really depends on the type of driver..I would say between 130-160K mi tho..

#15 ·
Originally posted by 93 325i+Dec 2 2004, 10:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(93 325i @ Dec 2 2004, 10:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-robbins6103@Dec 2 2004, 11:06 AM

-DR
[snapback]241980[/snapback]​
My first bimmer 1995 318i- totaled it at 162K. Still had original clutch with slight slippage when really launching it. So it really depends on the type of driver..I would say between 130-160K mi tho..
[snapback]241989[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
Gosh, the clutch can work up to 160k? cant trust that!! :nope

#17 ·
quick question. I have about 100K on the car, bought it from an older lady who drove it conservatively.
I decided to do a 0-60 run just one time. kept the wheels straight, revved to about 4500 and let the clutch out pretty quick, then quickly floored the car. Ok, when I first let out the clutch, it was like a controlled slipping with the rpm's at exactly 5K until the wheels built up enough speed to engage the clutch fully. Is this normal or should it have just fully engaged as soon as I let it out resulting in wheelspin or drop in rpms? It did give quite a good launch though without spinning the tires but it was definately slipping a little.

#18 ·
The cluch isn't expensive, the labour is. It takes hours to change a clutch. You have to make sure your other components are still good, if you have driven with the worn clutch for a long time, the pressure plate may need replacing as well. Check for burns on the contant surface. In any case, it will either require resurfacing or replacement. The clutch disc itself isn't not expensive, around $100. The flywheel is the most expensive part, and usually you do not need to replace them, resurfacing is also required.

Bry

#19 ·
Yo Fellas (and ladies if any)

Sorry for the delay in replying. My Internet has been screwy.

You are all right when you say that a clutch can last forever if you know how to drive it correctly...however I'm not the one who blew it (stupid roommate was driving when it happened :banghead , and I wasn't there...so I don't think I'm getting the full truth because he is absolutely terrible at driving period, even though his own car is manual :confused ).

I have been hard on it with aggressive driving, but the dealer had checked it out in Sept and said that it would be fine and should last another few years, even with some pretty hard driving...I may not be the absolute best at driving manual, but I know I am good enough to make a clutch last for a long time...so where the hell did it go (I do know the roommate likes to never fully let off the clutch when accelerating, especially through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, possibly providing some wonderful wear)????

I wonder if the other dealership who checked it out a couple months ago were just BSing me when saying it was alright? I know that its a long process to even get to the clutch, which would be time consuming and expensive. Soooo many possibilities at this point I guess...

Oh yeah...the whole job just got doubled in price because the flywheel is fucked too...thanks roomie :eek:uch They said they can't even resurface or recondition the flywheel because there would be nothing left! One can only wonder how

#20 ·
Originally posted by BlantonG13@Dec 7 2004, 06:22 PM
Yo Fellas (and ladies if any)

Sorry for the delay in replying. My Internet has been screwy.

You are all right when you say that a clutch can last forever if you know how to drive it correctly...however I'm not the one who blew it (stupid roommate was driving when it happened :banghead , and I wasn't there...so I don't think I'm getting the full truth because he is absolutely terrible at driving period, even though his own car is manual :confused ).

I have been hard on it with aggressive driving, but the dealer had checked it out in Sept and said that it would be fine and should last another few years, even with some pretty hard driving...I may not be the absolute best at driving manual, but I know I am good enough to make a clutch last for a long time...so where the hell did it go (I do know the roommate likes to never fully let off the clutch when accelerating, especially through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, possibly providing some wonderful wear)????

I wonder if the other dealership who checked it out a couple months ago were just BSing me when saying it was alright? I know that its a long process to even get to the clutch, which would be time consuming and expensive. Soooo many possibilities at this point I guess...

Oh yeah...the whole job just got doubled in price because the flywheel is fucked too...thanks roomie :eek:uch They said they can't even resurface or recondition the flywheel because there would be nothing left! One can only wonder how
[snapback]245561[/snapback]​
Hmmm - a dealership not being completely truthful? Jeez, never heard of that happening. Did they tell you that when you did the prebuy inspection at the dealership?

Anyway, if the flywheel is fried - I doubt your roommate is actually at fault unless he/she? was driving the car regularly. You can't screw up a flywheel in a day. Most likely the dealership sold it to you with the clutch almost gone. But yeah, if you're dumping the clutch all the time doing burnouts and stuff, the clutch will last maybe 50-60k miles (ask me how I know :devil )

#21 ·
Thats a very good point...I hae had the car for about two years now though and I am its second owner. It has 88k miles on it and I bought it two years ago with 40k on the clock. I could see the flywheel wearing out over time. It is a 318i and doesn't do burnouts all that easy considering the lack of power, so I never really tried that much. Its when I had a bunch of inspections and maintanence done in Sept. that they said the clutch was looking worn and would last maybe only a year. Its a completely different dealer than its at now though. Who knows, like I said, it could go a few different ways. I'll just never know. The only thing I am sure of is that this car better last me another 56 years with all the money I'm paying for this job...

#22 ·
Originally posted by BlantonG13@Dec 9 2004, 07:12 PM
Thats a very good point...I hae had the car for about two years now though and I am its second owner. It has 88k miles on it and I bought it two years ago with 40k on the clock. I could see the flywheel wearing out over time. It is a 318i and doesn't do burnouts all that easy considering the lack of power, so I never really tried that much. Its when I had a bunch of inspections and maintanence done in Sept. that they said the clutch was looking worn and would last maybe only a year. Its a completely different dealer than its at now though. Who knows, like I said, it could go a few different ways. I'll just never know. The only thing I am sure of is that this car better last me another 56 years with all the money I'm paying for this job...
[snapback]246817[/snapback]​
Dang, well if you were closer to me, I'd come by and help you do it yourself. It's that difficult to do yourself, although you just have to have a lot of patience and a good weekend to do the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.