BMW Werkz banner

Convertible Top Re-engagement

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jamesyboyz 
#1 ·
I was messing around under my back seat and pulled that little evil lever that changes my convertable top from electric to manual. It wasn't until after the fact that I read in the manual "to reengage take to the dealer". I doubt, or I hope there is another way to engage it considering I'm a student without much money (and don't want to get ripped off by dealer charges).

Does anybody out there know how to re-engage an automatic convertable top after pulling the lever which makes it manual?

ANY help is appreciated, thank you in advance for your responce.

#2 ·
I will check in my Bentley tonight...or...if anyone has one accessible??? :dunno

#4 ·
Originally posted by DoTheDew@Nov 30 2004, 08:13 PM
The motor is in the trunk Go back there and give it a good push make sure it clicks in, I think there is a pin you haft to pull as well.
[snapback]240842[/snapback]​
Thanks, I went to try that and realized the lid that covers the convertable top is misaligned, causing the trunk to be unopenable. Do you have any suggestions on how to realign the lid?

#6 ·
Damn....I'm sorry...I forgot to look last night...Had to put up the goddamn Christmas Tree...

I'll look tonight....

#7 ·
Originally posted by RIBEMR26@Dec 1 2004, 03:58 PM
Damn....I'm sorry...I forgot to look last night...Had to put up the goddamn Christmas Tree...

I'll look tonight....
[snapback]241474[/snapback]​
Haha, thanks. my problem now is I can't get the trunk open, so look for that if you can. I have a Haynes book, but it doesn't even mention convertables.

#8 ·
Originally posted by epheterson+Dec 1 2004, 04:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(epheterson @ Dec 1 2004, 04:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RIBEMR26@Dec 1 2004, 03:58 PM

I'll look tonight....
[snapback]241474[/snapback]​
Haha, thanks. my problem now is I can't get the trunk open, so look for that if you can. I have a Haynes book, but it doesn't even mention convertables.
[snapback]241486[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Well, the tool to put the top up manually unfortunatley is in your trunk....

You shoud be able to get the top back down Manually, but the manual says operation of the top should only be done to close the top, never to open it. But in your case I dont think it will matter because the rear boot lid will not lock and will fly open while driving. So just Put the top all the way up then down before driving this will lock the lid. With the motors disemgaged you should be able to push it down or pull it up.

Good Luck

#10 ·
Originally posted by epheterson@Dec 1 2004, 05:51 PM
DoTheDew: I really want to try that, what process, exactly, locks the lid?
[snapback]241566[/snapback]​

first thing you need to do is manually put the top up or down.
Second go to the back of the trunk re engage the motor
Third Turn Ign key on then off then back on and Put the top up then down.

From there it should be okay to operate, and drive

#15 ·
I have the same problem. If you put the roof down manually on the off side (drivers side) look at the catch which the roof falls into. There is a little hole in the catch (campare to other side to see what Im talking about) inside is a small button. Put in a folded piece of card to hold the button down and the boot will open.

I still dont know how to get the roof working now though.

#16 ·
It wasn't hard, I fixed it myself. I had my brother sit on the convertible lid so I could get the trunk open, I tore off the paneling for the left side of the trunk and the motors just pop into place no biggie. Once the motors are back on, I got back in the car and started playing with the convertible top open and close buttons until I got a result and bam, over a hundred bucks saved!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.