BMW Werkz banner

thermostat?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FruityOne 
#1 ·
Well, I want to replace the t-stat, and just wondering if it's ok to go with a good quality generic one (like a Robert Shaw) from the local parts store or if this is one that I have to go OE on?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I would figure that, if the non OE part is a quality part, then you should have no problems. There are two states for the T-Stat: Open, closed. I can't really see how one can be 'better' engineered than another (this does not include the material from which the part is made of).

#4 ·
No problem. As long as it's a direct replacement you shouldn't have any problems. :thumbs

#5 ·
get the one that Active Autowerke sells....

They don't make it but its the only place to get that temperature rating and it makes your car run really good

#7 ·
Some OE thermostats are three state and not just open or closed. Generic versions will invariably drop the intermediate stage.

Bear in mind that a binding thermostat can take out an engine, so why compromise? It's one of those critical components that can cause severe damage in the event of failure.

IMHO go for the OE part.

#8 ·
I checked out the AA t-stat, and I'm thinking I might not want to go with that cool of one.

Matthew, that's good info., I didn't realize there were 3-stage t-stats.

I think at this point, I'll order the Bavarian Auto t-stat, and some Water Wetter, which is supposed to drop the coolant temp by a few degrees. While I'm at it I'm thinking an aluminum housing might be in order! I'm getting ready to change out the radiator fan anyway, so might as well do it all at once.

Thanks!

#9 ·
id go with oe...but thats just me...plus i have the resources at my disposal :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.