BMW Werkz banner

Winter Tires

991 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  diezel99 
#1 ·
is it worth the 400 bills gettin winter tires for my otherwise stock 318is??

my tire guy says it will be night vs day... but shoud i really take the advice from someone selling me the tires???

i was lookin at Hankook winter tires..

watcha tink??

#2 ·
You tire guy is right. I never go a winter without them. All snow tires are pretty good as they were designed to serve one perpose. I don't have any experiance with Hankook snow tires, but I'm thinking about using them this year as well.

Get the narrowest tires you can fit on your rim.

#3 ·
Originally posted by wulley1@Nov 5 2004, 07:50 AM
You tire guy is right. I never go a winter without them. All snow tires are pretty good as they were designed to serve one perpose. I don't have any experiance with Hankook snow tires, but I'm thinking about using them this year as well.

Get the narrowest tires you can fit on your rim.
[snapback]225000[/snapback]​
why should i get the narrowest tire i can fit on my rim??

#4 ·
Actually BMW recommends a 14in steel rim with a pretty narrow tire. As to why narrow......the wider the tire......the larger the surface on the road, and the more snow that has to get pushed to the side and at some point you begin to float over the snow or slush (just like hydo-planing only on snow). So if you have a narrow tire you can go through deeper snow. If you look at all season tires you will notice that the treads don't go all the way across in most cases and this causes the tire to less effectively move the snow out of the way. And go with steel rims to save the nice ones you have for the summer. :bravo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.