BMW Werkz banner

E34 Alarm Trouble

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LOS 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 92 525i, the other day the battery went dead, when I replaced it, the alarm went off and I don't know how to turn it off, if I close the doors it will stop after a few seconds, but as soon as I open one, it goes off again. I don't have a remote for it and when I try to start it, there is nothing. I would really appreciate any help!!

#2 ·
Originally posted by c21no1@Oct 31 2004, 09:23 AM
I recently bought a 92 525i, the other day the battery went dead, when I replaced it, the alarm went off and I don't know how to turn it off, if I close the doors it will stop after a few seconds, but as soon as I open one, it goes off again. I don't have a remote for it and when I try to start it, there is nothing. I would really appreciate any help!!
[snapback]221622[/snapback]​
I had a similiar problem. Sounds like the alarm needs to be reset. Try removing the fuse for at least 48 hours or so. Then replace. Hopefullly it will work. It did for me and I haven't had any alarm problems since. I have a 97 540i. Good luck

#3 ·
c21no1

On my car I can insert the key either in the trunk or driver side key slot and turn it (turn all the way till the key becomes horizontal) clock wise to engane the alarm and counter clock to disengage it. Assuming you alarm is factory;Can you do that on yours? If so go to your car and try it. This will reset it.

good luck
billb

#4 ·
I tried the key in both the trunk and the drivers door, neither worked. I was going to try the fuse, but I can't find it. Even when I unplug the module under the rear seat, the alarm continues to go off. This is very depressing, I've only had the car for a week. I appreciate all your input very much!

#10 ·
I did unplug it, but the lights still flash and the car still will not start? Seems strange to me. Here is exactly what transpired, The battery went bad, the car started with a jump. I then replaced the battery, that is when all the trouble started. The previous owner said something about pressing the number one on the dash computer to turn it off, which doesn't work. So here I am. I do hear some sort of relay clicking on and off under the drivers dash speaker. I am totally lost. I can't believe unplugging the control box didn't turn it off!

#11 ·
ok... I the alarm unit is about 6 x 4 x 1" thick, black in color. They're two locations that the unit could be in. It's either under the rear seat or in the hood (engine compartment)

The fuse number is 18 and/or 21 located in the glove box compartment. There was another member "quablos.." who found the unit in the engine compartment under neath the fuse box (left hand side).

If you need addtional help send me an private email with your number and i'll call you right now.

LOS

#13 ·
I figured it out! There was a push button and a switch way under the dash on the drivers side that I had to flip the toggle, hold down the button and start the car and it reset! I'm guessing this must be some kind of aftermarket alarm? If so, I wonder why the factory control box is still plugged in also? Anyways, thanks for the help!

#16 ·
Originally posted by LOS@Nov 1 2004, 09:24 AM
go to circlebmw.com for additional information on the alarm unit
Click on service dept, then tech tips

Also, do a search. Just click "my assistant" and type alarm as the subject.
[snapback]222185[/snapback]​

Try the above website and read about the alarm unit and see if you can tackle this on your own.
Good luck

LOS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.