BMW Werkz banner

Carfax Request

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  WindowPro 
#1 ·
Could someone help me out with a CarFax report. I am planning to purchase a 2000 540i tomorrow morning ... Don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight!

VIN -- WBADN5341YGC94719

Thanks!

WINDOWPRO2003@YAHOO.COM

#4 ·
Originally posted by BeelZibub+Oct 28 2004, 11:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeelZibub @ Oct 28 2004, 11:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-///Matt@Oct 28 2004, 04:35 PM
Its a funny thing....why don't you just BUY one...you're buying a BMW, what's $10?
[snapback]220078[/snapback]​
I've got to say I though the same the few times I've seen people ask this! Maybe they'll only learn if they are given a bogus report LOL that would be funny :lol:
[snapback]220081[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Fair is fair...
Yes, I do have an extra 25.00 to spend, however, from the size of the threads I have read on obtaining a report, several other members are trying to help one another. You know who you are ... Thanks for your support! I thought I would ask to see if someone could help me out --community forum -- correct?

Went ahead and purchased the report (30 days unlimited) and then helped ten others checking theirs -- to me, that's what community is all about. Most of the VINS I checked were not for BMW's rather older used vehicles -- Maybe some members don't have an extra $25.00 to spare?

Anyway, I am happy to help others -- post your VIN and email, time permitting I will do what I can.

#6 ·
Originally posted by ///Matt@Oct 28 2004, 02:47 PM
:cry That was beautiful.
[snapback]220188[/snapback]​
Thanks Matt! :D

BTW -- Picked up the 2000 540i this afternoon! She Rocks!

Funny thing happened yesterday -- drove to the car lot to purchase a 99 LS400 for the wife and I to drive, looked over -- and there she sat. Looking as though she was moving -- standing still! Told the car lot owner "yes I am here to test drive the Lexus...but when I come back ...I have a feeling that 540i is going home with me." Came back from the Lexus test drive (feeling like someone over 50 -- I'm 37) and got the keys to the 540. NEVER have I had so much fun driving a car! Showed it to the wife (she hasn't drove it yet) ...she loves it! Knew there was a reason we have been married for ten happy years.

Anyway, a real funny and self embarrassing thing happened...I didn't realize until today (after purchasing) it was a six speed. I know that sounds stupid but you don't realize how fast I purchased this car. I looked at it -- drove it up the street and back -- came home -- slept on it (very little) and went back today and bought it.

Anyway, thanks for the support!

#7 ·
Originally posted by ///Matt@Oct 28 2004, 07:47 PM
:cry That was beautiful.
[snapback]220188[/snapback]​
LOL Makes me feel bad for never helping people on these forums out now (I must come here for a reason though). I know!!! each time someone asks for a carfax in the future I will send them $25 of my hard earned cash - man will I feel good after that.

#8 ·
BeelZibub, I need a carfax - when do I get your $25?? (£ will be fine!!) :driving

Will start a new thread later, but 5 Series seem to suffer overheating quite often (mine included) - great forum this, best I've found to date, hope it stays this way :D

#9 ·
Originally posted by machinehead@Oct 29 2004, 01:17 PM
BeelZibub, I need a carfax - when do I get your $25?? (£ will be fine!!) :driving

Will start a new thread later, but 5 Series seem to suffer overheating quite often (mine included) - great forum this, best I've found to date, hope it stays this way :D
[snapback]220636[/snapback]​
I only have italian Lira at present would this be OK? Welcome to the forums - I'm not an asshole all the time you know!

#11 ·
Still somewhat of a newbie to the 5's. What is the overheating deal, is it specific to the 540's or is common to all 5's? And what years? A buddy of mine is looking at a 2001 540i and I recently purchased a 97 528i. However, I think he is going to purchase a 2003 530i in the very near future - sacrifice on the motor to get the better warranty coverage.

What he had heard about the 5's is that the radiators gave out at 70,000 miles, which didn't surprise me if a guy didn't change out the rad fluid religiously. I've changed out radiator's on enough used cars to learn the hard way about changing out the rad fluid.

#12 ·
Originally posted by rsn48@Oct 29 2004, 05:30 PM
Still somewhat of a newbie to the 5's. What is the overheating deal, is it specific to the 540's or is common to all 5's? And what years? A buddy of mine is looking at a 2001 540i and I recently purchased a 97 528i. However, I think he is going to purchase a 2003 530i in the very near future - sacrifice on the motor to get the better warranty coverage.

What he had heard about the 5's is that the radiators gave out at 70,000 miles, which didn't surprise me if a guy didn't change out the rad fluid religiously. I've changed out radiator's on enough used cars to learn the hard way about changing out the rad fluid.
[snapback]220733[/snapback]​
There are a few prob's with overheating but none more than any other car I wouldn't think - Apart from perhaps BMW use plastic impellers on the water pumps, these often drop to bits. Oh and the tube going into the waterpump is plastic instead of metal so overtightening the hose clips can fracture this and cause a leak when the engine is hot. But apart from that just the norm really.

#13 ·
Windowpro

Would like to wish you the best of the best on your new purchase.
And If I may add
A.the plastic neck of the radiater tends to break rather easy.
B. Thermostat sits at the top of dealers food chain.
C. Bmws do run hotter than average in fact many new cars have only one electrical fan (no belt driven fans) and they run way much cooler than BMW.

As usual Thinking loud with you Beelz:

What happens if I decide to install lets us say thicker radiater with a larger capacity of coolant. i.e. thicker with some bracket mods. Assuming a good fit Now:

A. Would the extra coolant simply delay the onset of heat. I.e coolant will take longer time wise to get hot by the engine even after the thermos does its job?
B. Or would this excess coolant force the engine to run a bit cooler. i.e the larger volume= larger amount of fluid=more cooling? 10%;20% heat reduction? yes? no?

think all other variables remain constant. i.e good /fully functional cooling system in both cases.i.e. fans,pump,thermos,head etc etc

P.S. Window pro: Is this a microsoft special effect membership?
regards
billb

#14 ·
Originally posted by billB@Oct 29 2004, 10:16 PM
Windowpro

Would like to wish you the best of the best on your new purchase.
And If I may add
A.the plastic neck of the radiater tends to break rather easy.
B. Thermostat sits at the top of dealers food chain.
C. Bmws do run hotter than average in fact many new cars have only one electrical fan (no belt driven fans) and they run way much cooler than BMW.

As usual Thinking loud with you Beelz:

What happens if I decide to install lets us say thicker radiater with a larger capacity of coolant. i.e. thicker with some bracket mods. Assuming a good fit Now:

A. Would the extra coolant simply delay the onset of heat. I.e coolant will take longer time wise to get hot by the engine even after the thermos does its job?
B. Or would this excess coolant force the engine to run a bit cooler. i.e the larger volume= larger amount of fluid=more cooling? 10%;20% heat reduction? yes? no?

think all other variables remain constant. i.e good /fully functional cooling system in both cases.i.e. fans,pump,thermos,head etc etc

P.S. Window pro: Is this a microsoft special effect membership?
regards
billb
[snapback]221014[/snapback]​
BillB
Thanks for the "best wishes" and maint. tips! ... This forum is great! -- In just two days I have gained a tremendous amount of info. Thanks everyone! -- Hopefully, I will be able to provide others with some advice as I get to know the car better.

Regarding the radiator -- It does seem to make sense that a larger radiator / hoses, etc. would delay the heating and allow the engine run cooler ?? I have a good friend who owns a local radiator shop. I will check with him tomorrow. I'll follow up if I get a chance to talk to him. Ok?

Please read on ...

FIRST 24 HOURS WITH THE 540...
The first 24 hours have been fun filled to say the least. However, I am having a problem with the engine "missing" at 4800-5200 RPM's. (I have this issue posted in another thread I started today...so far not much luck. Anyone here have this problem or suggestions)? --- What is weird about the problem is it only occurs within the RPM range mentioned above --- and in every gear. ??

Bill -- I wish I could offer you some better advice on the coolant issue, maybe we will know more tomorrow. And no -- No affiliation with Bill G. -- I own a Plantation Shutter and Blind company by that name.

Beelz -- . :~) BTW - thanks for your help earlier today. Nice comments about the carfax report He He -- And I want some of the Lira action too!

#15 ·
Windowpro
I make living in the IT sectors so it was exciting to see windowpro. I guess I got carried away with computers; don't mind me please!
your new car missing already? How many miles? I would bring it back to the dealer (who sold it to you) they should fix it for free. Isn't that what they mean by "visit your certified preowned BMW dealer"? Also ask them what is/was wrong with it.

If your dealer does not fit the above description above then It is a good practice when buying a USED BMW to do the followings:

1. Check spark plugs
2. check for leaks especially around the intake i.e hissing sounds when engine is idling; shaky engine etc
3. Check all vacuum hoses (7,8mm hoses) around the intake for leaks; they are very cheap and easy to replace
4. Though not likely in your case change the Filters: especially the fuel filter. air filters. Again you are dealing with unknown ex-owner's gas habits!

When done with the above and if the car keeps missing then you MUST/WILL BE getting a feed back signal from the car as to the nature of the problem. That is CHECK ENGINE light with a code reader you can pinpoint the problem.

While many dishonest used car dealers tend to reset the check engine lights without repairs; BMWs are not too shy to turn their check engine light ON in 5-7 days worth of driving! It can range from ICV (idle control valve) to Mass air sensor and/or bad O2 sensor/s (you have 4 of these at $115 a piece); bad injector (needless to say super/major brand is A MUST on BMWs and with a used car you don't know what gas they put in it.) but tell then I would do the above basic tune up.
Good luck
billb

#16 ·
Originally posted by billB@Oct 30 2004, 10:27 AM
Windowpro
I make living in the IT sectors so it was exciting to see windowpro. I guess I got carried away with computers; don't mind me please!
your new car missing already? How many miles? I would bring it back to the dealer (who sold it to you) they should fix it for free. Isn't that what they mean by "visit your certified preowned BMW dealer"? Also ask them what is/was wrong with it.

If your dealer does not fit the above description above then It is a good practice when buying a USED BMW to do the followings:

1. Check spark plugs
2. check for leaks especially around the intake i.e hissing sounds when engine is idling; shaky engine etc
3. Check all vacuum hoses (7,8mm hoses) around the intake for leaks; they are very cheap and easy to replace
4. Though not likely in your case change the Filters: especially the fuel filter. air filters. Again you are dealing with unknown ex-owner's gas habits!

When done with the above and if the car keeps missing then you MUST/WILL BE getting a feed back signal from the car as to the nature of the problem. That is CHECK ENGINE light with a code reader you can pinpoint the problem.

While many dishonest used car dealers tend to reset the check engine lights without repairs; BMWs are not too shy to turn their check engine light ON in 5-7 days worth of driving! It can range from ICV (idle control valve) to Mass air sensor and/or bad O2 sensor/s (you have 4 of these at $115 a piece); bad injector (needless to say super/major brand is A MUST on BMWs and with a used car you don't know what gas they put in it.) but tell then I would do the above basic tune up.
Good luck
billb
[snapback]221170[/snapback]​
Bill

Thanks for the info...I am seeing the mechanic Monday morning. I leaning towards the fuel filter. ARGH on the O2 Sensors! One of them may be the culprit? Of course, I will change them all at the same time. ... I will keep you posted.

Where are you from?

Jim

#17 ·
As I said Fuel filter is a must; O2 sensors? no need to change all of them since:
A. your ECU will let you know which one is the problem; whether its precat (fuel mixture lean vs. rich)or postcat (exhaust/emmission related type of a deal).
B. While they good for about 50K-70K Most problems with O2 sensors are SECONDARY to other problems i.e. control limit where you'll see the sensor getting overwhelmed by a vacuum leak i.e lean mixture or trying so hard to compensate for rich mixture.

From NJ 45 minutes west of NYC
regards
bill

#18 ·
Originally posted by billB@Oct 30 2004, 02:27 PM
As I said Fuel filter is a must; O2 sensors? no need to change all of them since:
A. your ECU will let you know which one is the problem; whether its precat (fuel mixture lean vs. rich)or postcat (exhaust/emmission related type of a deal).
B. While they good for about 50K-70K Most problems with O2 sensors are SECONDARY to other problems i.e. control limit where you'll see the sensor getting overwhelmed by a vacuum leak i.e lean mixture or trying so hard to compensate for rich mixture.

From NJ 45 minutes west of NYC
regards
bill
[snapback]221268[/snapback]​
Bill

You have been a great help. I will definetly keep you posted.

Did you purchase your diagnostic tool from Peake? You may have mentioned them already or I saw some threads about it earlier?

Thanks again,
Jim

#22 ·
Originally posted by billB@Oct 30 2004, 11:48 PM
Sorry about that CHECK ENGINE light. It appears on the scanner as CE. feel free to take a look at it in www.peakresearch.com
[snapback]221486[/snapback]​
Thanks Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.