BMW Werkz banner

Snow Tires...to Be Or Not To Be

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  doughboyea 
#1 ·
I have been looking through all of the posts in this forum regarding snow tires. I can't seem to get a steady opinion. Some say forget them, and others say you're stupid not to get them. I live in the suburbs of Philly, PA and I can't decide whether or not to get snow tires for my 330Ci. I have the Sport Package, with 17" rims. Can I survive the winter? My roads are usually cleared very quickly and I drive the turnpike to work. Can I just put 2, 50 pound bags of sand in my trunk and avoid blowing $1500? Thanks for your honest opinions, especially from anyone that lives near me. :thumbs

#2 ·
Originally posted by chuckie789@Oct 23 2004, 08:15 PM
I have been looking through all of the posts in this forum regarding snow tires. I can't seem to get a steady opinion. Some say forget them, and others say you're stupid not to get them. I live in the suburbs of Philly, PA and I can't decide whether or not to get snow tires for my 330Ci. I have the Sport Package, with 17" rims. Can I survive the winter? My roads are usually cleared very quickly and I drive the turnpike to work. Can I just put 2, 50 pound bags of sand in my trunk and avoid blowing $1500? Thanks for your honest opinions, especially from anyone that lives near me. :thumbs
[snapback]217015[/snapback]​
Wish i could help you... But this is my first winter with my 330ci and i am wondering the same thing.... I live in Albany NY and we get some good snow and ice storms.

#3 ·
I live in Minnesota. I have owned three Audis and now have a 330xi. All my cars use snow tires in the winter months. My thought is, you will burn up the rubber anyway. Why not use snow and ice tires in the winter. If you use the stock performance tires it is likely you will hit a curb if you slide. That alone can cost you a ton of money replacing a wheel and tire. The ability to stop and go in the snow and ice is a very comforting way to live. Buy a set of wheels and tires. Get some that are easy to clean and make sure you can buy just one if you "curb" it. I would also recomend a taller sidewall if potholes are in your future this spring. Just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
Definitely get the snow tires. I broke down and bought some this year as well. Pretty much, anytime you get a rear-wheel drive car, you will want to get some winter tires on it. You won't believe the difference it makes.

Yes, I agree that $1500 is a lot of money to drop, but it's much cheaper than fixing your car up after fishtailing around a corner and hitting something, or not being able to stop quickly.

I'd say get the winter tires, or stay at home when it snows, or buy a winter beater car and leave the bimmer safely out of the elements :)

#5 ·
Hey GnarlyCow:

Great point. Did you get your tires through the dealer or from some other source. My dealer said they would replace my tires with winter ones and store mine for the season. They mentioned $1500 when I got the car, but I'm not sure how inclusive that is. Any idea? Anyone else too? Thanks.

#7 ·
OK HONEST ANSWER!!!!

You don't HAVE TO get snow tires. If you have ALL SEASON tires on your vehicle now, and the tread is very good, stick 100lbs or so in the trunk and with the traction control and taking it easy, you'll be ok. I've been doing that with my Mercedes 190E 2.6 for 5 years with Pirelli All Season tires on and two 50lbs bags of rock salt in the trunk (2 to balance out the wieght). It was very good and helped out alot in the snow, especially in amounts of 2-4 inches... anything over that... well tough shit.

BUT...

If you've got the money and space DO THIS. Get steel wheels (not flashy BMW rims, stock, hubless rims, the ones that you could put a hubcap on, but don't) 16" or 17" in size. Get 205 size snow tires. Shouldn't be too expensive, and since they aren't flashy rims, you won't care about beating the shit out of them in the snow. You see, the idea here is, one set for winter only use, the other for the rest of the year. Just alternate them evey season. Garantee to make them last a long time too! :thumbs

Four 205-17 tires will come to around $400+/-, depending on brand choosen. The steel wheels (typically black or steel in color) will come to around $60/rim. So....

$60X4=$240, $240+$400=$640 in parts. Figure another $100-$200 (est??) for labor and installation/balance. You've got 4 snow wheels exclusively for winter use. They will last you at least twice as long as if you would've just bought snow tires straight out. When the spring thaw comes, switch them out, get a jack and change the tires to your BMW rims. Just make sure that you've waited till the end of the snow season.

I hope this helps,

Dough

btw, here's a site that sells BMW steel wheels---->Wheels and Rims

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.