BMW Werkz banner

How To Do A Good 360 Burnout....

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  bmw323inewbie 
#1 ·
hey guys
yesterday I attempted to do a 360 burnout in an empty parking lot , my buddy did take a video of it which will be out soon. I did get the tires to burn out and smoke bad but I was not spnning and doing my 360 in one spot. I was doing more like a circle, and burning out the tires.

My approach was:
turn the wheels all the way , hit the gas and rev the engine, this will initiate the circular motion of the car and let it go round in small circles....once its going in circles hold down the brake while leaving the clutch and continue to rev the car, the tires smoke out like crazy!!

what am i doing wrong or what should i do different to get it nice and more of an actual 360 deg burnout ????

thanks guys
Q

PS: my steering wheel now is quite jammed when i try to parallel park and am an like 2-3 mph...feels like the power steering doesnt work at extremely low speeds...any ideas ?

#2 ·
Originally posted by Q_BMW@Oct 17 2004, 05:00 PM
hey guys
yesterday I attempted to do a 360 burnout in an empty parking lot , my buddy did take a video of it which will be out soon. I did get the tires to burn out and smoke bad but I was not spnning and doing my 360 in one spot. I was doing more like a circle, and burning out the tires.

My approach was:
turn the wheels all the way , hit the gas and rev the engine, this will initiate the circular motion of the car and let it go round in small circles....once its going in circles hold down the brake while leaving the clutch and continue to rev the car, the tires smoke out like crazy!!

what am i doing wrong or what should i do different to get it nice and more of an actual 360 deg burnout ????

thanks guys
Q

PS: my steering wheel now is quite jammed when i try to parallel park and am an like 2-3 mph...feels like the power steering doesnt work at extremely low speeds...any ideas ?
[snapback]212862[/snapback]​
Wow.

#3 ·
Good way to wreck your bimmer up. Keep up

#4 ·
most likely you do not have an LSD and only one wheel was spinning, that, or it's worn out and dosn't have the clutch power it use to.
revving your engine that high with a large load on the power steering pump isn't nice to it. Your power steering pump is at the hardest load when the stering is at full lock, most likely you wore it out or sprung a leak of your fluids. Check them.

If your gonna do it, for one, MAKE SURE you have an LSD. You can't do doughnuts without one so don't even try. Make sure you've got a lot of room, enough room to launch to say, 30-40 mph at least, jerk the wheel and it will send you into a drift, oversteer, and your tail will come around, begin to dance with the steering wheel as you keep the car rotating. This would be much easier on your entire car than starting a burnout from a standstill.

I reccomend that you dont.

#5 ·
how would i know if i have an LSD ? I have a 1996 328i with ASC as an option!!

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure you have an open differential, not an LSD. I'm almost positive that LSDs only came on ///M3s. I am also pretty sure that while I love your tire/wheel choice, as I have the same, I hate you for what you have done to your bimmer.

#7 ·
hey
ya i know it was stupid, was just a naive thing i wanted to try doing for kicks and get it on video.....wont ever happen again for sure....just gota fix the steering issue now....thanks guys...and sorry for being so stupid!!

#8 ·
I guess you could lighten the hell out of the back end and max out the PSI on the rears to help induce wheel spin. Just doing this is a bad idea though because you have to rip the hell out of this car to make it happen.

If you don't have an LSD..... there is a rumor out there that some 328s did have them optioned in... I have never bothered to confirm.... its gonna be tough, but can be done..... itll look stupid as hell on camera though

#9 ·
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Oct 17 2004, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you have an open differential, not an LSD. I'm almost positive that LSDs only came on ///M3s. I am also pretty sure that while I love your tire/wheel choice, as I have the same, I hate you for what you have done to your bimmer.
[snapback]213192[/snapback]​
my car came with LSD..

if you wnat a good 360 burnout , drop the clutch crank the wheel (not all the way) and enjoy your new tires that you will be buying.

#10 ·
Originally posted by NeverLeaned@Oct 18 2004, 08:49 AM
I guess you could lighten the hell out of the back end and max out the PSI on the rears to help induce wheel spin. Just doing this is a bad idea though because you have to rip the hell out of this car to make it happen.

If you don't have an LSD..... there is a rumor out there that some 328s did have them optioned in... I have never bothered to confirm.... its gonna be tough, but can be done..... itll look stupid as hell on camera though
[snapback]213301[/snapback]​
i think that if you have the winter package you might have LSD, best way to check is ether trying burning out with one tire on gravel and one on the road, or just jack up the car and spin one of the rear tires. how i have done donuts, even though i try not to do them more than like once every few months, is i start straight burning out and just slowly tighten up a circle and just before i get it tight hit second and then i spin around good, and thats when the smoke comes, i really need to find my video of it, then i just counter steer, but that stuff is really hard on the car so i save it for special times

#11 ·
hey guys
mine does have the winter package i beilieve, but i dont think I have an LSD, cuz when i first tried the burnout only one wheel smoked up....but later when i tried the burnout the other way both wheels smoked.

will try jacking up the car this weekend and confirm if the wheels spin like mentioned. I thought someone had said that wasnt a fool proof way to check if u have a LSD..any input ??
Q

#12 ·
sorry but how do u check if u have an LSD by just jacking up the car ?
thanks

#14 ·
ya i think there was, but i cant find it. this search feature is a little weird, if i type LSD it wont accept, gota have each word of atleast 4 characters , and when i type limited slip differential, then no matches....any help ?
Q

#15 ·
If you're doing huge circles around the parking lot, chances are you have an open diff and no LSD. LSD only came as an option on non M3 E36's. Most people would not purchase this option. I know, because I had it on my '92 318 previously.

No LSD = one wheel spinning and not a real dounut. You'll look pretty stupid doing huge laps around a parking lot with one wheel smoking. Understeer anyone?!

If you really want to force your car to do donuts (poor bimmer), take out your front sway bar, put on some rear winter tires and steel rims.. enjoy!

This type of thread should be retired to the trash bin...

You probably blew your power steering, it's what usually happens when you do stupid things like try to do donuts. Bimmer's don't take abuse well. I'd say that doing 10 seconds of donuts is worse abuse than say 2-4 seperate lapping days at the track.

Good luck..

Bry

#16 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Oct 19 2004, 06:32 PM
You probably blew your power steering, it's what usually happens when you do stupid things like try to do donuts. Bimmer's don't take abuse well. I'd say that doing 10 seconds of donuts is worse abuse than say 2-4 seperate lapping days at the track.

Good luck..

Bry
[snapback]214305[/snapback]​
Did you just say that BMWs don't take abuse well? Are you sure? My friend practically tried to blow his engine and couldn't do it. He also has routinely done donughts, and burned out. His e30 318is just won't die.

#18 ·
E30's are bulletproof.. this is the E36 forum :)

I rarely hear of sub-frame failures on an E30. The words "chassis flex" are almost none existent when dealing with E30's.

The motors are pretty good, they can be abused. But I was talking about suspension, mounts and chassis components failing. And trust me, they fail. I track my car so I know what kind of things fail all the friggin time.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Oct 20 2004, 11:16 AM

I rarely hear of sub-frame failures on an E30. The words "chassis flex" are almost none existent when dealing with E30's.

The motors are pretty good, they can be abused. But I was talking about suspension, mounts and chassis components failing. And trust me, they fail. I track my car so I know what kind of things fail all the friggin time.
[snapback]214698[/snapback]​
Of course if you track the car it's going to have problems. Point being, BMW's are engineered MUCH better than most other cars. They'll take abuse much more than many other cars. To say that e36s don't take abuse well is just not true. It's STILL a bmw. These things like over 200k miles with minimal care.

#20 ·
Originally posted by Storamin+Oct 20 2004, 11:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Storamin @ Oct 20 2004, 11:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Autotechnica@Oct 20 2004, 11:16 AM

Of course if you track the car it's going to have problems. Point being, BMW's are engineered MUCH better than most other cars. They'll take abuse much more than many other cars. To say that e36s don't take abuse well is just not true. It's STILL a bmw. These things like over 200k miles with minimal care.
[snapback]214815[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Before I tracked my car and it was stock it still had millions of problems. The engines rarely fail. But because of BMW's low tolerences, almost everything needs to be constantly maintained. If you think you're car is bulletproof, get a mechanic to check it out and I'm sure he'll tell you there's more that needs replacing than you think.

A well built car actually requires more repairs and maintainence when it gets up there in the years. A low quality mass production car such as a corolla will last much longer without actually requiring as much maintainence or repairs. Reason being, they drive like crap when they are new, so they drive like crap when they age too. Think about it, when you have more tolerance and use lots of rubber bushings and cheap materials, there is a lot more room for error and play. A car that is designed to be used with crappy parts will most likely not feel the affects of worn out parts as much as you would on a BMW. With Germans, precision is key. I use to work for Leica Optics devision which is a famous German company known for precision optics. They make a lot of products for Heckler and Koch. Anyways, I've repaired both japanese and German lenses, believe me the german lenses always require more maintainence, but they also are more precise and last longer when taken care of.

I figure since BMW's cost so much to maintain, might as well track the car and spend just as much money on maintainence. If I wanted to drive like an old granny, there are plenty cheaper cars out there where I can do just that.

Bry

#21 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica+Oct 20 2004, 08:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Autotechnica @ Oct 20 2004, 08:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Storamin@Oct 20 2004, 11:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Autotechnica
@Oct 20 2004, 11:16 AM

[snapback]214815[/snapback]​
Before I tracked my car and it was stock it still had millions of problems. The engines rarely fail. But because of BMW's low tolerences, almost everything needs to be constantly maintained. If you think you're car is bulletproof, get a mechanic to check it out and I'm sure he'll tell you there's more that needs replacing than you think.

A well built car actually requires more repairs and maintainence when it gets up there in the years. A low quality mass production car such as a corolla will last much longer without actually requiring as much maintainence or repairs. Reason being, they drive like crap when they are new, so they drive like crap when they age too. Think about it, when you have more tolerance and use lots of rubber bushings and cheap materials, there is a lot more room for error and play. A car that is designed to be used with crappy parts will most likely not feel the affects of worn out parts as much as you would on a BMW. With Germans, precision is key. I use to work for Leica Optics devision which is a famous German company known for precision optics. They make a lot of products for Heckler and Koch. Anyways, I've repaired both japanese and German lenses, believe me the german lenses always require more maintainence, but they also are more precise and last longer when taken care of.

I figure since BMW's cost so much to maintain, might as well track the car and spend just as much money on maintainence. If I wanted to drive like an old granny, there are plenty cheaper cars out there where I can do just that.

Bry
[snapback]215157[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I've never had a beemer over 100k miles so I'm sure my view will be different. Both of mine took serious abuse and kept on going. I'm talking burnouts, all that good shit. At first I was afraid I'd mess up my independent suspension in the rear but that fear didn't last too long.
I'll concede as you get higher and higher mileage I'm sure all the problems will tack on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.