BMW Werkz banner

Please Tell Me If I Am Insane

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  contessamy 
#1 ·
ok this is my first post here. up until recently, i have only owned volkswagens, but i have always wanted a bmw, and they have always been my favorite cars. so, i am in the position where i need a car, and i found a 1995 540i with 295k miles for $3900. if i didnt feel silly for considering this in the first place, i wouldnt even be asking this question. so here are my questions...should i run away from this car? should i consider it at all? should i buy it rigt away? as a new (potential) bmw owner, what should i ask about the car? in the ad, it says
Car has high highway miles - no accidents - no body damage - excellent paint - excellent interior - well maintained. Engine and transmission are still strong and smooth.
i'm only really worried about the motor and the transmission. the interior and exterior are only background details for me. i read about the nikasil problems, and i'm still learning about it. so, if you guys could help me out a little, i'd appreciate it very much. if i dont end up buying this car, i'm likely going to go for the 92 525i with 90k for $4995. the only issue is that i'd have to drive about 280 miles for either car. there are a few 5ers around here, but with high miles, or colors i dont want. nothing wrong with being picky about a car, right? :) ok thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys can give.

CJ

#2 ·
is it auto or manual?

i think u should push the guy way down, maybe like 3300.. just try to find any excuse, then, think about it.

if anything goes wrong, u are prepared to spend like a grand or two in the car, either to get the engine rebuilt or anything, and as long as the exterior and interior are good, why not?

#3 ·
If this is what you've got a $3900, 295.000 miles, 1995 540...then ask yourself the following questions:

1. How many more miles you expect to get out of this car? 1/2 a million miles!
2. What kind of repair records this car had?
3. What kind of repairs it will have?
4. Did I really buy the car or someone's headache?
5. Recently I bought an engine for a 97/528i from a junkyard cost me abit short of $3000! imagine an 8 cylinder engine. a grand or three will not cut it.
6. BMW tranny? try $3000 and up if auto.

To tell you the truth for $4000 I'll go for a nice Honda/Toyota/Nissan and wait on a bimmer when I am ready for it; that is when ready financially to allocate more money for a car. BMWs are much more expensive $3000 to buy and most expensive to maintain and that is the ultimate truth. You paying $3900 for a car that is worth about $60.000 new! Math? just about 6.5% of its original value!! What is left is scary mere number. This is similar to buying a mercury Topaz for $840. Cost New is close to $14.000! would you buy it? I won't unless I am a good mechanic!

Of course the above is my own personal opinion/preference. Whether you want me to tell you if you're insane or not this is irrelevant so please Feel free to buy it if you think it is the right thing to do.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck
regards
billb

#5 ·
thanks for all the replies. for those who asked, the car is a manual. i guess i really didnt consider it THAT much, but that V8 and 6 speed was screaming "drive me!" i'm likely going to get the 1992 525i with 90k miles for 5k. either that or a volkswagen that i dont have to drive 300 miles to buy :) thanks again guys.

CJ

#7 ·
dude get the 540.

I just picked up a 525 with 240k miles and I am glad I did. I got a really good deal on it because of the high miles so if it dies then it doesnt really matter. Talk the guy down to 3thousand even and take the 540.

#8 ·
I got a really good deal on it because of the high miles so if it dies then it doesnt really matter. Talk the guy down to 3thousand even and take the 540
well, thats exactly why i'm not going to buy it. while i could afford to buy it, it would REALLY matter to me if it died. plus, i cant really afford to fix any major problems. a car with 300k miles on it is probably nearing the end of it's life, even if it is a bmw. once i graduate, i'll be getting a 540 for sure (or an M5 if i am lucky)

CJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.