BMW Werkz banner

Wheel Removal

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BLACKBMW 
#1 ·
Recently had a nail in a tire..I tried to use the stock lug wrench to get the bolts out and it wouldnt budge at all. So i decide to stomp on the lug wrench thinking that would work and the friggin head of the lug wrench snaps off! So I Buy a new *stronger* wrench and get the bolts out...but.....wheel is now fused to the rotor...eventually I get the wheel off after using PB Blaster & much convincing. Obviously the wheels were on there a while but has anyone else run into this? And this is warning to those who havent taken a wheel off in a while- it will be a PITA..

#4 ·
Use a wire brush on the boss and remove any crap - then when you put the wheel back on you can smear some grease on the inside of the rim - this will help the next time you want to take them off

hope this helps

J...

#5 ·
Originally posted by 93 325i@Oct 13 2004, 08:19 AM
Recently had a nail in a tire..I tried to use the stock lug wrench to get the bolts out and it wouldnt budge at all. So i decide to stomp on the lug wrench thinking that would work and the friggin head of the lug wrench snaps off! So I Buy a new *stronger* wrench and get the bolts out...but.....wheel is now fused to the rotor...eventually I get the wheel off after using PB Blaster & much convincing. Obviously the wheels were on there a while but has anyone else run into this? And this is warning to those who havent taken a wheel off in a while- it will be a PITA..
[snapback]210437[/snapback]​
Yeah, I ran into this this summer. The easiest way to get it off when it is stuck like that is to loosen the lug nuts a little, drive the car slowly around for a few seconds, jack it back up, hammer with a mallet, and try getting it off again. It worked for me after one run around a parking lot.

#6 ·
Originally posted by BLACKBMW@Oct 13 2004, 08:35 AM
Use a wire brush on the boss and remove any crap - then when you put the wheel back on you can smear some grease on the inside of the rim - this will help the next time you want to take them off

hope this helps

J...
[snapback]210463[/snapback]​

If you guys read the BMW service I or II (i forget which) detail it mentions removing wheels cleaning center hub and putting anti sieze compund on. DO NOT use grease as BLACKBMW suggests as unless it is specifically designed to withstand the high heat that the rotor generates it can melt get on your rotor and cause your brakes to not function.

I use high temp anti sieze compund which can be purchased in most auto store. By the way you should be using this stuff on all of your lug bolts as well.. takes almost no extra time and makes life so much easier down the road.

#8 ·
Originally posted by nycbmw325is+Oct 14 2004, 10:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nycbmw325is @ Oct 14 2004, 10:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BLACKBMW@Oct 13 2004, 08:35 AM

hope this helps

J...
[snapback]210463[/snapback]​

If you guys read the BMW service I or II (i forget which) detail it mentions removing wheels cleaning center hub and putting anti sieze compund on. DO NOT use grease as BLACKBMW suggests as unless it is specifically designed to withstand the high heat that the rotor generates it can melt get on your rotor and cause your brakes to not function.

I use high temp anti sieze compund which can be purchased in most auto store. By the way you should be using this stuff on all of your lug bolts as well.. takes almost no extra time and makes life so much easier down the road.
[snapback]211126[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I've used a smear of grease for over 15 years on numerous cars on the wheel boss with no ill effects - maybe the brand I use is high heat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.