BMW Werkz banner

04 545i Window Tinting

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BeelZibub 
#1 ·
I am looking to get my new car tinted. It is Orient Blue with the baige interior. Does anyone have an recommendation on the percent of tint to use? Anything specific I need to be aware of when looking into tint options?

Thanks

#2 ·
Mrhonest, do a search under "getting tinted this thursday". There was an interesting thread on this subject. I posted a reply from a member call "thetintshop" below... Anyway, the originator on the post waswas "chirayus"

LOS

"I would like to jump in this one as a tinter. I think you guys have priorities buried deep somewhere behind you. I get so sick of seeing guys bitch and whine about pricing on tint jobs. I have been working on high end cars for more then 10 years. I do NOT believe in high pricing a car because it's more expensive then the next. I do believe in going the extra step in making sure your car is tinted a bit better then the next. As long as you morons keep going to the cheapest shop, you will never know the difference. Go check up on tinting and find out what a GOOD job looks like and I will pay your tint job if you don't see the difference. I do not use Huper simply because I have had good luck with others. From the dealers I have spoken with that do sell it, it's a great film and pretty impressive over standard. Along with the fact that tinting is mostly the install, you are paying for a service, Huper is an expensive material. You are paying for metal-like hat rejection without the radio interference. I sell on my qaulity and film alone. I do not price match. And it pisses me off daily to hear "The guy up the road said he'd do your 175 dollar job for $160" and then the guy comes back whiining about dust, fading, purple, etc. The film industry is hurt by asshats like you guys that go spend $35-70K on a car and then whine and post about a $100 difference in price. If you ever saw the difference in service and quality you got in a job like this, you would never go back. Do you go to a Kia dealer to get your BMW serviced? Take your car to someone that has worked on hundreds of these and knows your car like you should before you start bashing the $300 and $400 jobs. I could not count the number of BMW's I have had to strip and retint, AND peeled off the defroster lines with the tint film, because some dick put the $125 tint job on and 3 yrs later it faded clear, purple'd, bubbled, or whatever. I just did a 325 a few weeks ago. The guy whined to me because HE stripped the film off and the defroster lines were gone. He did NOT use a blade. It peeled off with the film. I have seen this amny times before. I pointed it out BEFORE I touched the car while still in the parking lot. It was a 2001 model with your GOD-like LLumar film on it. All film will fail sooner or later. It is your job to give what you consider the best car, the best film to last a lifetime. Just because it has a lifetime warranty, doesn't mean it will be with you 10 yrs later. Or even 5 for that matter.

In closing...Before you jump on the $160 bandwagon, do your research on film quality. Know what you want. Then look for the absolute best installer so you don't damage your car. The door panels have to come off. The back glass has to be tinted. Give it the best. Not the best deal."

end of quote!

#3 ·
Ipresume you're not in the UK!

If you are, there's a tint limit of 70% light must emit through the front driver and passenger windows, 100% through the windscreen and what ever you like on all the rears.

Police are being equipped with tint readers and will hand out on the spot fines, tint removal orders and in some cases you will have to keep your car off public highways until the removal is complete (including directly after being caught - get a tow truck etc.)

Personally I think I am going for a 30% (allows 70% light through)tint all round as I can't stand to see grey fronts and black rears.

Also go for a metalisised tint not a cheap crappy film. Crappy basic films hinder you looking out as much as people looking in - metalisised ones hardly change your view from inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.