BMW Werkz banner

Cold Start Problem

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
BMW 530i with 22,000 miles......cold start problem....long crank before engine starts ( morning or after sits for 1 - 2 hours )....been to dealer 3 X did not fix problem )...any suggestions or answers would be appreciated

#2 ·
Can you take it to another BMW dealer?

Something needs to be adjust.. do you get any warning lights on your dash panel?
could be fuel pump, sending unit, plugs, distributor? Check fuses make sure you have the right amps... just some thoughts!

If you do find out the problem, please post it so we can all learn from it
Good luck

LOS

#3 ·
I am not sure how much this reply will be usefull to you after your 2-3 visits to the BMW dealer but for whatever its worth here is a one possibility among tens of tens of other possibilities:

A long cranking engine may be caused by a bad starter. Also it can be due to low battery voltage, poor electrical connections at the battery or a failed relay alas LOS's point above.

Granted many starters do outlast a vehicle warranty only if it's not abused (did you ever notice someone parked next to your car at a shopping mall when starting his car does not let his fingers of the ignition key? That is what I call abused starter for one!), if good connections are maintained and if it's not overheated through dirt and grease buildup.

Also When you starting your car with the major components turned off (such as AC compressor, blower motor and high-powered stereos) will for sure ease the load on the starter. In fact, BMWs have "lock out" relays that will not allow the AC compressor and alternator to turn on until after the vehicle starts. But turning these power-starving creatures off before shutting off your BMW is always a good practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.