BMW Werkz banner

328i - Sport/economy/winter Auto Modes

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sjt 
#1 ·
Hi -

Great forum - hope you knowledgeable guys can help me. Have recently got a 328i Convertible down here in Australia with a 5-speed auto box, but I'm still confused about the Sport Mode. Our models don't have the US M/A settings, but the European Sport/Economy/Winter settings. Is it right that in Sport Mode, it will never engage 5th? I get to a steady 120+ kph and it's still in 4th at 3250 rpm. As soon as I press "Economy" it shifts up to 5th. Press "Sport" again and it upshifts to 4th. Would it ever shift to 5th? If so, at what speed/rpm?

Also, in Sport Mode, when set to 4 or 3, is it right that this is just the highest gear that it will select? So on 4 it can select 1-4 and on 3, 1-3? I got the auto because "she who must be obeyed" only drives autos (I'd have gone 6-manual), but any tips on how to get the best out of it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

#3 ·
She who must be obeyed was not obeyed, and that's why I now drive my 328i, manual, sport... But truthfully I had to convince her that the BMW was safe and reliable, etc ---stick no problem, she likes to drive stick :p :D :) :laughhead: :lmao2 :lol:
DOn't know about those auto features, but the owners manual should give you some idea if you haven't already taken a look.
Have FUN!

#5 ·
Hmm...I beleive what you say is pretty close to the truth...The sport mode..which I have on my car...keeps it from up shifting allowing higher RPMs...from what I can get out og it.....But all I got to do it stay on the gas and I can red line it every time in plain ole auto...so I dont really see any real uses..cept it sounds koo...

#6 ·
Originally posted by sjt@Sep 24 2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your replies (and the welcome, Teg)! Owners manual doesn't help - anyone have the answers?
[snapback]198396[/snapback]​
Funny you should post this today.

I figured it out last night in my experiment....,When you switch to M mode (from A) then shift it to 3rd gear you'll accelerate faster and smoother without that jerky shifting you get when you floor the pedal in automatic [A mode @ D gear] mode. However, in [M mode @ 3 gear] aka sport mode you seem to burn more gas per milage but you def. speed up faster than in A mode.

[A mode @ 3rd gear] seems to be a less sportier mode, when compared to [M mode @ 3rd], because the car will shift gears to adjust to conditions :confused (at least this is what the manual says).

Now [M mode at 2nd or 1st gears] aka winter or economy mode is for going up hills and down hills. These gears allow for easier breaking downhill and easier acceleration uphill. This is what you tend to feel in [A mode @ D gear] aka full automatic mode when you floor the pedal to go uphill quicker and your car pulls then shifts then jerks alittle and speeds up the RPMs and zooms uphill.
These modes I haven't toyed around with because there is not much hills round here.

If you ever race or want to go faster (0 to 60 mph in less that 8 seconds) it seems that [M mode @ 3rd gear] is the best bet. But becareful it works only TOO well!!! and you may under estimate your acceleration and speed.

Also ONLY shift the gears in M mode when the car is moving (meaning foot on pedal not brake) and moving UNDER 120 MPH!!! You can shift A mode to M mode or vice versa anytime.

Try it out. I discovered this by playing around at the old abandon runways at the air base in Gateway Recreational Park Brooklyn

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks, Delmarco! That's very useful.

But on the Australian models, they have a three position switch next to the shift lever, marked Sport - Economy - Winter, not just a Manual/Auto switch. In Economy mode, with the lever on D, it's a regular auto. You can also limit the gears that can be engaged by selecting 4 (4-1 only), 3 (3-1 only) or 2 (2 & 1 only). However, it's the Sport mode I'd like to know about. As I mentioned in my first post, I'd like to know if 5th ever engages in Sport Mode as in my experience so far it will only engage 4th.

Simon

#8 ·
Originally posted by sjt@Sep 25 2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks, Delmarco! That's very useful.

But on the Australian models, they have a three position switch next to the shift lever, marked Sport - Economy - Winter, not just a Manual/Auto switch. In Economy mode, with the lever on D, it's a regular auto. You can also limit the gears that can be engaged by selecting 4 (4-1 only), 3 (3-1 only) or 2 (2 & 1 only). However, it's the Sport mode I'd like to know about. As I mentioned in my first post, I'd like to know if 5th ever engages in Sport Mode as in my experience so far it will only engage 4th.

Simon
[snapback]198698[/snapback]​
No, I'm sure in Sport Mode it will never go to 5th unless you have a 5 speed manual car. At least thats on the American cars. But sports mode is usually 4th and 3rd gear on E36 automatics. :driving

Attachments

#9 ·
it's all about changing the shift patterns... Economy will get you into your cruising gear faster to save fuel...Sport will make the shift harder and more precise based on the sensitivity setting...and Winter will start in second or third gear to up the torque to the rear wheels for added traction in slippery terrain (ie: snow/gravel)

#11 ·
OK, here's the summary as I understand it (for Euro/Aussie 5 spd auto box with E/S/W switch):

Economy Mode: In D: all 5 gears available - shifts up at lower revs to improve fuel economy. Selecting 2/3/4: limits changes to those gears or lower, e.g. selecting 3 only allows changes between 1, 2 and 3 and locks out 4 and 5

Sport Mode: In D: only gears 1-4 available - delays shifts to improve performance. Selecting 2/3/4: limits changes to those gears or lower (as before). Since only gears 1-4 are available, position D and position 4 are the same (is this right?).

Winter Mode: In D: only gears 2-5 available - omits 1st to improve traction. Selecting 2/3/4:provides direct access to those gears, e.g. selecting 3 locks in 3rd gear (no shifts take place).

Any corrections or improvements welcome! Can someone contribute the US version with the Manual/Auto switch?

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.