BMW Werkz banner

My '86 325 Project: update

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DeathMetal 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Remember me, the guy who bought the beater E30 for a project car? Well, if you don't mind me giving a little "show-and-tell" on my car, here's my progress so far:

I replaced almost the whole suspension: new control arms, thrust bushings, tie-rods, H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, Suspension Techniques swaybars, Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace, all new bushings, strut and shock tower mounts, etc.

Brakes got new discs and Metal Master pads

To finish it off, I added a set of Borbet 15x7.5 wheels fitted with Yokohama AVS ES100 205/55VR15's.

So that's what I did this weekend. Just got the car back from the alignment shop and it's all straight and smooth now. It drives like a new BMW!

Other items I've addressed so far include doing the regular maintenance stuff (fluids, filters, plugs, belts, etc.) and replaced 2 broken marker light bezels and a few bulbs. When I bought this car, 6 of the idiot lights were on, including the check engine light and the SI lights were red (overdue) for Inspection. Now, all the lights are cleared.

Replaced a ton of cosmetic stuff (roundels, glove compartment, rear bumper rubber strip, floor mats, ash trays, trunk tool kit, and more). And repaired the driver's seat, which was leaning to the left--now it's straight and good as new.

The car is far from complete, and I'm still debating about tearing down the engine or not, but for now it runs fine so why bother--I'll work on other stuff until the engine goes south, then worry about it. I need to tear into the instrument cluster soon, straighten out a few dings in the body, and do a whole slew of other cosmetic restorations, but that all can be done over time. Oh yeah, I guess I should paint it one of these days too! :D

Attached is a pic of the car so far.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks! I have thrown some money at it (actually much more than what I paid for the car :D ) although it's still within what I originally budgeted for the project.

The H&R springs supposedly drop it 1.25 inches.

BMDubya84, that sucks! Sorry to see that damage. Did the control arm break away from the body fairly cleanly, or did it damage the body too? If the body is okay, that shouldn't be too difficult to repair.

#6 ·
lol ill def let you dump some money into my car :D

#7 ·
your in somewhat the same boat as me. I purchased an '88 325i about six weeks ago (good price). Spent two weekends cleaning, pollishing and painting (all the trim). have had some repairs to address. The first was a significant gass leak, enough to make me loose traction on right hand turns which also runed the driver side rear wheel bearing. All in all it is a pretty solid vehicle that runs very well. I just received my suspention Monday and can't wait until its installed. (Bilstein shocks, HR springs and Suspention Tech sway bars). You seem pretty excited about your project as am I about mine. Good luck its looking good.

#8 ·
Originally posted by BMDubya84@Sep 14 2004, 07:20 PM
Member of the Out of the Closet "I Listen to Metal and own a Bimmer" Club
Member of the "I almost got a ticket for 130 but kept goin" Club
Member of the "I told my E30 I'd do her" Club
Member of the "I totalled an E30" Club Worst Day of My Life..
Hey! Do you think I qualify for membership in the "I listen to metal and own a Bimmer CLub?" LOL I already read swedishmetal.net on a regular basis and have In Flames, Soilwork, and Bolt Thrower stickers on my car! :rock

#9 ·
Originally posted by DeathMetal+Sep 14 2004, 09:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeathMetal @ Sep 14 2004, 09:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BMDubya84@Sep 14 2004, 07:20 PM
Member of the Out of the Closet "I Listen to Metal and own a Bimmer" Club
Member of the "I almost got a ticket for 130 but kept goin" Club
Member of the "I told my E30 I'd do her" Club
Member of the "I totalled an E30" Club Worst Day of My Life..
Hey! Do you think I qualify for membership in the "I listen to metal and own a Bimmer CLub?" LOL I already read swedishmetal.net on a regular basis and have In Flames, Soilwork, and Bolt Thrower stickers on my car! :rock [/b][/quote]
haha hell ya you do...throw it in your Signature!!!!!!!! :rock :rock :rock
you are now the second person to join my club...i was the first haha

BTW i must dissagree on something...no stickers on a bimmer haha

#10 ·
Originally posted by seandaly@Sep 14 2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks!  I have thrown some money at it (actually much more than what I paid for the car  :D ) although it's still within what I originally budgeted for the project.

The H&R springs supposedly drop it 1.25 inches.

BMDubya84, that sucks!  Sorry to see that damage.  Did the control arm break away from the body fairly cleanly, or did it damage the body too?  If the body is okay, that shouldn't be too difficult to repair.
You should have run a wider tire...i had 215/50/15's on 15X7 Racing Dynamics..you should be running like 225/45/15's...you will love it... :D

i put H&R 318 springs on my car (2" drop) thats why its a lil lower than your...but the control arm is bent...its a v now insteat of an L haha..there is major front end damage and the motor is seized due to lost oil pan haha it shattered...anyway...RIP she is gutted and sitting there still but no parts on it now...

This was the car just weeks before... :cry

here are more pics of the damage...if you click on "Worst day of my life" in my signature its what happened...

Attachments

#11 ·
looks like one hell of a sexy car, well not anymore :-/ but it did look sweet :D

#12 ·
Hey, that's my car! Actually, it is or damn close to it. I have a 1986 325eS that I picked up new at the BMW Delivery Center in Munich in March '86. I've driven it ever since (230,000 miles) and it has run flawlessly well, at least till the last few months. It had a near death experience back in June and again in late July. Had to replace the coolant system. And after I had that done, the mechanic gave me the bad news. Either sink three or four grand into it or it'd stand me on the highway for sure.

So, I ordered a 2005 545I and am selling my '86 to a guy in Maryland. Sigh, wish they'd last forever.

#13 ·
my last car was my first BMW but god knows its not the last...im in the process of picking up an E30 M3 :rock By far my ultimate child hood dream...it was the car i always wanted...i love e30's with every inch of car enthusiast it me...its a brilliant car for its time and even for today..ugghh i cant wait to begin the mods once i pick one up :D muhahahahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.