BMW Werkz banner

Annoying burning coolant...

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
I have a burning antifreese smell while i'm driving, i havent looked much, but it doesnt seem to be too severe...

It smells like it when i park the car after a bit of "creative" driving... at first i figured it was brakes...but someone said it smelled like buring coolant.

my question is, where could the leak be that its hitting something hot on my engine?

#2 ·
D3 I like to add my wild two cents here for whatever it is worth:

Cent 1: The coolant level sensors in these cars are extremely sensitive and tend to fail frequently. Sometimes when you turn off your car it may give you the check coolant message (usually right after a sporty run) and then the next time you drive it, you will not get the message. The small upper hose from the radiator to the overflow leaks at the radiator, BMW dealer told me this is a common problem on bimmers. While it doesn't leak any on the surface of the driveway. Try to Look at the driver's side of the radiator and see if there is any liquid or residue. It would be a sign that your hoses are leaking.
2nd: I experienced the following with my 528 (well EX-528) when I flushed the coolant: The coolant was flowing down the header pipes and into the heat shields for the exhaust which also has insulation in it. Insulations sucked so much coolant I had to drive the car to get rid of it, it did smoke so bad that the smoke came out of the seams of the hood. After that she was OK
Good luck with it...let me know how u make out
regards
bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.