BMW Werkz banner

Differenc Between ZKW and Depo Headlights???

24K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Delmarco 
G
#1 ·
Can someone tell me the difference between zkw and depo headlights??? If there are any differences at all. :confused Also are they worth it or should i spend the extra $$$ to get the oem euro headlights. (im trying to upgrade my car with angel eyes but ive heard you can open up U.S. spec bmw headlights to install them)

#4 ·
"* ZKW's use thicker lens glass (they're less prone to chipping/cracking)
* ZKW's produce a somewhat sharper, clearer beam patter
* ZKW's are made with slightly greater precision, leading to better reflectors
* ZKW's use heaver grade plastics "

m3motorwerks.com

#5 ·
I don't know about you, but a $400 savings over some 'unnoticable' quality differences is well worth it. Even if it fogs, it is very easy to open them up and apply some anti-fog spray.

I've seen some good quality sets of Depo euros on ebay for about $200, most come with angel eye leds (which are crappy, but who cares, just buy some DDE Kits from ummitza if you want them so bad)

I am not doubting jillphan or ummitza in any way...

but has this quality difference really been proven head to head? Depos are exact replicas of ZKW, and of course, the original is always better, but the copy is always never far off.

#6 ·
A simple search on ebay, and I've revealed a few very good deals on headlight packages, all of which include angel eyes preinstalled. I will let the buyer decide themselves to see which is the best deal. I am only presenting them.

For those who want Umnitza type CCFL DDE angel eyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

Price: $329.00 shipped, Depo Brand, 45k mcd DDE angel eyes

comes with:
-PnP wiring harness
-6 month limited warranty on angel eyes

Umnitza carries a similar package

DEPO Euro Ellipsoid w/ DDE Lightning Plus™

Price: $369 w/o shipping, Depo Brand, unknown mcd output for angel eyes (it is the 'plus' version, I'm going to assume that the 'plus' is 35k mcd, and 'enhanced' is 45k mcd, on the assumption that there are only two widely available CCFL angel eye kits available, which are obtainable in 35k and 45k configurations.)

comes with:
-Vizu H1 bulbs w/ 1 yr. warranty
'-Value priced' PnP connector (saw on a forum post by umnitza that they do not have the 'enhanced' PnP connector available anymore, the difference between the two, I have no idea.)
-Stongard/Xpel protective film pre-applied

For those who want to spend even less money, but for the same product headlights (but just LED angel eyes) there's this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

Price: $205 shipped, Depo brand, 15k mcd LED angel eyes

comes with:
-H1 bulbs (unknown brand)
- PnP wiring harness
- 'M' power emblem (throw this away, please)

And for those who have too much money to spend, the cream of the crop:

Umnitza's ZKW headlight package

ZKW Euro Ellipsoids & DDE Lightning ENHANCED™ - Angel Package

Price: $649.00 w/o shipping, ZKW brand, DDE lighting plus or enhanced

comes with:
-Bulbs - 4X H1 55W Philips/Osram
-PnP connector
-Stongard/Xpel protective film

Which is the best deal? I'll let you decide on this one.

#7 ·
I bought DEPO's and wish now that i would have saved my pennies a little longer for nicer ZKW's. the product is better quality, plastic housing wont break as easily (mine have), probably better light projection, and the angel eyes are sharper and are easier to see in the day light as well as during the night.

#8 ·
I"m still debating one what ones to get myself... hmm....

#9 ·
I still don't understand the dilema. Yes ZKW's are expensive relative to everything out there, but so is a BMW. You guys didn't buy Ford Esccorts, so why put some Ebay crap on your car. As I can appreciate a better than average car, I too can apprecitate a better than average product with which to upgrade. ZKW's will actually raise the value of your car, because you are upgrading to origional German oem, not devaluing it by putting some aftermarket B.S. on. If you don't have the money, fine, wait till you do, or leave the lights alone. Just my $.02

#11 ·
Originally posted by mmzcee@Sep 10 2004, 09:36 AM
Actually, I doubt the average person can tell if its european or NA standard headlights...let alone know what ZKW or Depo is...unless you take the time to tell them.
As far as telling the difference between NA and Eurospec, one drive at night with each is all that is necessary. If one can't tell a difference, they don't need to be driving, because their eyes don't work.

As for the difference between Depo and ZKW, or anything else, it just has to do with quality. Sure you can't tell a huge difference (there is a very noticable difference though, I've seen the two side by side), it's longevity. If you buy qualtiy, you have no worries. Plain and simple. I could care less about impressing someone with a name, I just want to buy something ONCE, and not have to worry.

But to each his own.

#13 ·
Hey Jllphan, I just noticed on your sig that it says "ZKW Europec". Did you mean for it to say "ZKW Eurospec"? Just wondering if you made a mistake on it or not, I don't mean to be calling you out on it or anything

#16 ·
Originally posted by tico481@Sep 11 2004, 02:03 AM
Hey Jllphan, I just noticed on your sig that it says "ZKW Europec". Did you mean for it to say "ZKW Eurospec"? Just wondering if you made a mistake on it or not, I don't mean to be calling you out on it or anything
Ha ha ha, see there's proof. I looked at my lights a few times, and now I can't even see what I'm typing.

ZKW's new slogan, "Headlights so bright, they'll freakin blind you, making it impossible to make a decent sig." Eh, what you guys think? Yeah, maybe not...

#17 ·
Originally posted by jllphan+Sep 11 2004, 07:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jllphan @ Sep 11 2004, 07:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tico481@Sep 11 2004, 02:03 AM
Hey Jllphan, I just noticed on your sig that it says "ZKW Europec".  Did you mean for it to say "ZKW Eurospec"?  Just wondering if you made a mistake on it or not, I don't mean to be calling you out on it or anything
Ha ha ha, see there's proof. I looked at my lights a few times, and now I can't even see what I'm typing.

ZKW's new slogan, "Headlights so bright, they'll freakin blind you, making it impossible to make a decent sig." Eh, what you guys think? Yeah, maybe not... [/b][/quote]
no because i hate people with blinding headlights, think they are the only ones on the road, like the ricers who put the super bright hyper white bulbs, in their reflector headlights, dumbasses, i think their slogan should be, "ZKW, if bmw approves, you should too :thumbs"

also don't change your sig keep it messed up, it will be a converstaion piece :D

#18 ·
Originally posted by M3DUDE+Sep 11 2004, 10:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (M3DUDE @ Sep 11 2004, 10:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by jllphan@Sep 11 2004, 07:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tico481
@Sep 11 2004, 02:03 AM
Hey Jllphan, I just noticed on your sig that it says "ZKW Europec".  Did you mean for it to say "ZKW Eurospec"?  Just wondering if you made a mistake on it or not, I don't mean to be calling you out on it or anything

ZKW's new slogan, "Headlights so bright, they'll freakin blind you, making it impossible to make a decent sig." Eh, what you guys think? Yeah, maybe not...
no because i hate people with blinding headlights, think they are the only ones on the road, like the ricers who put the super bright hyper white bulbs, in their reflector headlights, dumbasses, i think their slogan should be, "ZKW, if bmw approves, you should too :thumbs"

also don't change your sig keep it messed up, it will be a converstaion piece :D [/b][/quote]
Yeah I hate those Iced Out White headlights that blind you from the oncoming traffic or white out your rear view mirrors from behind. Especially when they are on SUVs like Escalades and Navigators and sit high up off the road. It feels like a 747 landing in front of your car. B)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.