BMW Werkz banner

Is there anyway to tell?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  SKT174 
#1 ·
if this car has climate control or does it just have knobs? How can you tell?

its 2001 525i. Here is the only interior picture that I have.

or maybe exterior will tell you guys more...

can you guys tell by looking at the car???I see some of them got knobs and some of them got digital controls for climate control...

See less See more
#4 ·
2001s will definately have auto clim control, dont worry about getting stuck with knobs

#9 ·
well I wish I could....

Those are the only pics that I have. I am picking the car up on saturday. I was just looking on some different ones with the same year and model and noticed some of them have knobs. Maybe Wagon types do...

oh well.. either way, I am sure I will enjoy the car even if it has knobs... can't have it all...

#12 ·
neverming.. douchbag at the dealer had no clue what he was talking about. It has knobs.. dunno why but oh well...

Anyway to put digital controls in there or would it be too involved with thewhole computer stuff?

btw.. I picked the car up yesterday.. I freaking love it!! Pics to come soon!

#13 ·
Just had a look at the pics on ebay and yep it definetly has knobs - I think this is because it's a base model and not an SE (on which electronic climate control is standard) as you can see it is listed as having Air Conditioning NOT Climate Control.

I don't know exactly what the specs are out there in the US and Canada but I do know they vary from country to country so if you don't have base model (in the UK these just have the twist knob aircon as standard, climate as option) and SE (Special Equipment I'm told - in UK these have climate control as standard) model the car might be an import. Have you seen a history of the car?

I would guess it was origiinally purchased by someone on a tight budget who could not afford the SE model or to whom such things as Automatic climate control were not important.

#14 ·
Originally posted by maxxym@Sep 12 2004, 10:56 PM
neverming.. douchbag at the dealer had no clue what he was talking about. It has knobs.. dunno why but oh well...

Anyway to put digital controls in there or would it be too involved with thewhole computer stuff?

btw.. I picked the car up yesterday.. I freaking love it!! Pics to come soon!
I have a little experience with this in other cars (Dodge), and with that it wasn't quite as simple as swapping out the head unit--we had to get the temp sensor and wire that in too. BUT the BMW climate control units have their sensors built-in, so I'd bet good money that if you grabbed an automatic climate control unit from a wrecked E39 or something and popped it in there it would work.

#15 ·
It's more than just swapping the knob controls to electronic ones.

Quoted from BMW Tips :

The first step is to identify which system your car has. IHKx: x = A = Automatic, x = R = Regulated. Open the hood and examine the driver's side fender well just underneath the microfilter housing. There will be one or two heater control valves located there. One valve means you have an IHKR system, two an IHKA. The dual valves of the IHKA system allow the driver and passenger independent temperature settings, while the single valve IHKR does not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.