BMW Werkz banner

lowering my bmw

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  97alpineM3 
#1 ·
Hi guys

im thinking of lowering my e36 coupe 30mm just using lowering springs. will this cause the tyres (225-50-16) to rub or any other damage? any recommendations?

#2 ·
u SHOULDNT have any problems but i'm not totally positive (i also dont know how much 30mm is compared to inches). i have 17x8 rims with 225/45/17 tires and i dropped my car using H&R race springs (2" fr / 1.3" rr) and no rubbing on the front whatsoever. back is extremely close but with very minimal rubbing. i am actually getting my rear fenders rolled next week and a camber kit installed.

#3 ·
225s will be fine... you will still have pleanty of room..... you might have to deal with some rear camber problems.. as most E36s have that problem when lowered.. or atleast most of them... which can be corrected with new camber arms... good luck.. and have fun.. :rock

Les

#5 ·
hey whats a camber kit and how much do they cost ?
also
will it be bad if i just change my front springs for now ? got 17"S , the back sits good, front is too high and dont have cash to change all...thanks in advance
Q

#6 ·
do you need to do the shocks the same time you do the springs? or will it handle well with just lowering springs and stock shocks

#7 ·
yup yup, my car is lowered 2 inches in the back, and 1.5 in the front with 17 inch rimes, I have neuspeed springs [sucks, it makes my car ultimately bouncy]. you just might want that rear camber. A friend of mine lowered his 328 is as well, but he got coil-overs. Sucks for him that he didnt fix the camber issue, his tires are really FUCKED right about...... NOW!

#11 ·
there are a few set up really good out there when it comes to lowering your bimmer one will be Eabach springs / bilstein Sport shocks or H&R race springs / Tokico gas shocks.

H&R lower your car a little more than Eabach. Try not to go with anything else for springs.

A camber Kit is your basic rear lower control arm but it's ajustible the factory arm it's ajusten by just an obel washer.

You camber kit should run about $300 to $500 there are two kinds I got the race prepare with is an Aluminum bushing, aluminum arm, aluminum rod, you can get this @ ground control or the street witch is made of iron metal and does not come with the bushing witch is good if you just wanna fix your camber problem it will be a lot easyer to install.

I will lower the car and if you fell that the car ride is too much jummpy i will then change your shocks.

Remenber if you shopp for shocks shopp for the shorted shocks those are made for lower cars.

#12 ·
^^
yip ur absolutly right however I had my car lowered to just 53mm of the ground wit 16s! I had to raise it bac up, It just cost me too much money in repair bills!!!, I now have 35mm lowered "progressive sprigs all round" with short strock high repition bilstions, My god the handling is unbeatable, and because I selected the progressive like the originals it is still really hard but not bouncy at all!. and it looks good and I can get round town!

The reason I went for the short strok shocks I blew a stock one out one say when it was lowered! I think if you arn't oin to go country very oftern its not really worth it as they are exspensive but on the other hand they could be cheaper in the long run
!

Hope this helps you descion

#13 ·
YOU GUYS MIGHT WANNA READ THIS

but i forgot to tell you the E36 chasis has a very weak rear sub-frame if you gys lower the car and street race it or do any kind of racing or poping the clutch just for fun be aware that will F....... up your sub-frame repaer cost are around $3500USD not very funny, it a mayor work.

if you want some extra info in how to fix it or prevent it let me know

RJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.