BMW Werkz banner

Clutch pedal squeeking on release of pedal

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  nycbmw325is 
#1 ·
WHile changing gears, on the release of the pedal (when I move my foot back toward me), there is a creaking/squeeking sound ,like the pedal needs some WD40 or something. Where do I lubriucate? Or is this a sign that my clutch is on the fritz--as a friend of mine thinks?

#4 ·
I installed the UUC bushings about a month ago and the problem went away, but came back again after a few weeks. So, I just took out the UUC bushings, which looked fine and reinstalled them. This time I used good old fashioned wheel bearing grease on all the moving parts. So far so good, but it's only been a day.

#5 ·
I removed the dash part undeneath the steering wheel and got up under there with some WD40. Mine sounds like the spring or something in that area needed lubication. Sprayed, and probably went away. Now it's back.

#6 ·
Wavewuver,
Let us know how it goes. I bought the UUC bushings, but it sounds like such a bastard to replace that I'm not doing it myself, if at all--especially if it has not been the cure all. I'm a big guy, and replacing the brake light switch was an exercise in contortionism.
Get back to usand let us know if the trouble was worth it!
Also, did you need a spring vice to compress the spring, or was it as bad as others say it is?

#8 ·
I had (and have again) the same noise on a 92 325IS. Before checking out this well known problem, I first tried spraying wd-40 . That worked for oh .. about a day. Then I listened closely and I seemed to hear like a spring sound. So I pulled the pedal (yes being 6' 225 lbs it was PITA) and cleaned and greased the spring assmebly which has metal caps on either end and a plunger type guide through the middle. I also lubed the bushing with wheel bearing grease. Two months later, I can say that the spring sound is still gone, and the creaking noise is present, but minimal. the spring is not that hard to compress, you dont need a big vice or anything, but you do need to compress it more than you think. My suggestion is to put the spring in the vice start comprewssing it and then figure out where you can put two zip ties so as to get the maximum compression. then compress the spring till the coils all touch and tighten down the zip ties. this will give you enough room to get that damn pivot pin back in place.
I also dont suggest you bring this to a mechanic, becuase do you really want some gorilla in filthy clothes climbing all over your nice interior, having no better knowledge than you do doing this work? just set aside two hours, get yourself warmed up (no i am not kidding, go for a short jog and then stretch out) grab a couple of old towels so you can prop up your head, throw an old blanket over the drivers seat, the whole seat not just the seat cushion part, recline the seat all the way and dive under the dash with your feet in the back seat. no fun, but at least your interior wont get wrecked by someone who doesn't care about it ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.