BMW Werkz banner

E30 HU Removal

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ian-318i 
#1 ·
Okay, I got the trim off, but I can't figure out how to get the HU out. Do I need some sort of tool? I don't see any hex bolts or anything. This is driving me nuts, and it's probably really simple.

Thanks, Ian.

#2 ·
Come on, guys. This thing doesn't have the hex bolts. It has two slots on either side, like you would use those u shaped radio removal tools in, but those didn't work, because they don't fit.

<--yeah, those

#4 ·
:banghead Ok, thanks for trying to help, jil.

I have 3 pics of the radio, so hopefully someone knows how to get it out.

Here's the radio with the entire front off (it just clips on and off)

Here's where i'm pretty sure you're supposed to put some kind of tool.

#5 ·
Those U's look like Ford U's. Try cutting and bending a coat hanger to get inside the clips.

I'm assuming you know that it is held in by clips. If you don't know for sure, its possible the e30 may also us e a rear or side secured deisgn, and you would need to remove the surrounding dash area to access the screws.

#7 ·
Man, it took a lot of yanking on it, but it finally came out. Thanks for the advice, Presidente. I cut up a coat hanger, bent the pieces, and ground em down with a bench grinder. Worked like a charm.

#11 ·
nice that new stereo looks awesome...i have an older Sony. Anyways when I bought the car (last friday lol) the guy had a sub and 2 amps in the trunk and his hook up to the stereo made the stereo come out of the dash a few inches. So when he removed the cables i was so anxious to see how the stereo looks when its flush with the dash that i pushed it in all the way in. When i turned it on i realized that the front speakers were not hooked up. So now im stuck with having to pull it out. The guy i bought the car from said that he had it removed by someone and that it has some clips holding it in. But im glad u got yours out, but i wana get mine out without causing damage.

#12 ·
Originally posted by '88 325@Aug 25 2004, 11:43 PM
nice that new stereo looks awesome...i have an older Sony. Anyways when I bought the car (last friday lol) the guy had a sub and 2 amps in the trunk and his hook up to the stereo made the stereo come out of the dash a few inches. So when he removed the cables i was so anxious to see how the stereo looks when its flush with the dash that i pushed it in all the way in. When i turned it on i realized that the front speakers were not hooked up. So now im stuck with having to pull it out. The guy i bought the car from said that he had it removed by someone and that it has some clips holding it in. But im glad u got yours out, but i wana get mine out without causing damage.
Yeah, it definitely took some tugging, though. My dash started moving, and I thought I was going to break something, but it came out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.