BMW Werkz banner

Embarassing Question

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Eraj 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is an embarrassing question, and not quite a BMW issue, but thought you guys might be able to help. :confused I was replacing spark plugs in a v6 minivan, and one of the plugs at the back is pretty hard to get to, and is buried pretty deep. I managed to unscrew the thing, but it fell off the tool and is now inside the well. Now.....access is VERY limited, no space to use pliers etc. This is at the back, not enough space to even use a mirror to look what's up there!. Any ideas guys? Have you heard of this before, do you know of any tool which can retrieve the damn thing?

P.S. - The Bimmer's all safe and sound....lol

Thanks

Eraj

#4 ·
ahh yes....I've rebuilt several FWD v6 minivans...not fun at all! I would just get a magnet and poke around until you find it. If you can't fit a mirror back there or crawl underneath and have access to that area..that's really your only hope unless you feel like removing the heads. Good luck.

#5 ·
i hated working in my moms minivan for my dad! my automotive education...kinda.

my advice is to flip that bread box over and rock it a little bit. :thumbs it should do the trick...

really though, the magnet is a good idea, but is the end of the plug metal, or aluminimum????

Mark

#6 ·
thanks for the response guys, I haven't tried the magnet thing. Do you think the rear end of a spark plug has enough metal to attach itself to a magnet? I did have a proper spark plug tool with the rubber sleeve, but I guess it still fell off while I was turning and twisting the thing in the confined space.

I think I will "monkey around" some more with a magnet tonight. Will keep you updated!!

thanks again.

#10 ·
yeah,

I did try using double sided tape on the end of a metal rod, no luck.

Thanks for the mean comments Torontodude, Guys I know this dude, he works with me, and you know what he drives........................a Celica.......yikes!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
Originally posted by Eraj@Aug 5 2004, 01:16 PM
yeah,

I did try using double sided tape on the end of a metal rod, no luck.

Thanks for the mean comments Torontodude, Guys I know this dude, he works with me, and you know what he drives........................a Celica.......yikes!!!!!!!!
Eraj..I"m shocked that you would deny everybody the truth..tell them about your secret life as Honda Civic owner!!

The other day you were pretty proud driving in around in that souped up vtec thing..in fact you were dropped out the window doin' one of these :rock if I remember correctly..

Oh..and the bimmer is your daughters car, so stop playin' with these guys already :thumbs

#13 ·
Ha, Ha, Ha...very funny

Well, anybody who wants to wring this guy's neck, catch hime driving a blue, stupid looking ricer Celica on 14th august at the wild water kingdom in Toronto. They have some kinda ricer get-together, probably to lick their collective wounds inflicted by bimmers during the last year!!

(Actually he's okay, just hates to see my bimmer sparkle next to his wanna be Celika peace of crap!)

Enough of this now!

#15 ·
:clap2 lol..you don't play well with others eh? s'ok..but for those of you interseted...we have over 30 GTA area clubs attending the event, including Porsche & Ferrari , along with C7 Performance (that's my club- Canada's largest Celica club)..it's gonna be professionally staged with DJ, Catered lunch...and hot models..

$21 gets you into Wild Water Kingdom, 1/4 pound hamburger, pop & chips, and parking...all covered or 1 low price..

if you're interested.. visit this thread for more info:

http://forums.c7performance.com/viewtopic.php?t=7664

we're the same group that put together last years C7 Fall Tour with over 300 cars that drove up to HOckley Valley ... :driving

if you guys do consider coming...come in droves!! We want to see as many cars out as possible..we have TONS of room and we'll be in a priority location for all the public to see...

Hope to see bimmer-folk come out and represent :welcome

Traffic in the park is anticipated to be between 12 to 14,000 visitors !!

Oh..and for the record we have all 7 generations reprsented this weekend..that's why we're C7 Performance

see us @ www.c7performance.com
see our pics @ www.vignando.com/gallery

The event is non-exclusive and is open to all! Helluva a deal too!! Same deal outside of our event would run you abou 40 bux!!

#17 ·
On a more serious note regarding the spark plug...there is definitely enough metal on the tip to pull it out. Go up to AUTOZONE and pick up one of the magnets they sell for .99 and I guarantee you'll have it out in 2 seconds. Also, my personal preference is to have two seperate spark plug sockets. I have one with the rubber boot inside and one without. When installing the plugs just drop it down and then use the socket without the rubber boot to tighten it. The logic behind this is simple...ask anyone who has had the rubber boot come out of the socket and stay on the spark plug once it's tightened. You'll invent a few new curse words if that ever happens to you. I only use the rubber one to remove the plugs.

#18 ·
On a more serious note regarding the spark plug...there is definitely enough metal on the tip to pull it out. Go up to AUTOZONE and pick up one of the magnets they sell for .99 and I guarantee you'll have it out in 2 seconds. Also, my personal preference is to have two seperate spark plug sockets. I have one with the rubber boot inside and one without. When installing the plugs just drop it down and then use the socket without the rubber boot to tighten it. The logic behind this is simple...ask anyone who has had the rubber boot come out of the socket and stay on the spark plug once it's tightened. You'll invent a few new curse words if that ever happens to you. I only use the rubber one to remove the plugs.

Just drop it down? Yikes.. I guess you never had to run a thread chaser into a head in abd spot from damaging the soft aluminum threads with the hard steel threads of the plug. The best wayb i have found to start a plug even in a bad place is to use a piece of rubber house that fits snugly over about one inch of the spark plug insulator. then just turn the rubber hose in your hands till the plug goes in a couple of turns. hose wont grip hard enough to cross thread the plug, and it is the ultimate flex extnesion, and you just yank it off and use the regular spark plug socket to bring it to final tightness

#21 ·
Hey Guys,

Good news....I magaed to get the damn thing out. I had to take the wipers off, remove the panel with the vents and finally removed the "pan" underneath the wiper motor, which gave me anough room to use a mirror.

Then I used this wonderful tool, very flexible and supple, designed by God himself, called fingers!!!!!!

Thanks for your help guys...appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.