BMW Werkz banner

check engine

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fushuman 
#1 ·
So i went to Autozone to check the code for my car and it says this.

Code: P0340
The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for Camshaft Position Sensor "A". (Bank 1 or single sensor) (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinder of the opposite bank)

Sometimes when i start the car it goes off, sometimes it stays on. But never goes on or off while the car is running. Have anyone ever received this code? is it bad if i keep driving the car? is it easy to fix? what should i do, i don't wanna take it to the dealer and get riped off!!!! Please anyone help me!!!!
:help

#2 ·
I know that a couple of guys have had problems with crank shaft sensors. If you notice here:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/98067733.html

Even on my car, they had a recall on my car. Maybe if they had a recall on your model, the dealer may cover the cost of the replacement.

I used to drive a Jeep with a 4.0L inline 6. Its crank sensor failed about 47 miles from the nearest town... About 20F degrees outside, and no cell signal. Oh and 3 am. Greatest night ever! Yeah and the operator fell asleep on me when I called the operator, so I called again... Anyway I did finally get a tow truck driver at 4am. He said he would be right out. He finally came about 6:00am. I waited for 9 hours for them to get the part. And $250 later, I found out that autozone had the same part for $20!

I would get it fixed. The crank sensor doesn't give much warning when it goes out.

#3 ·
but it's not the crankshaft sensor, it's the camshaft position sensor.
Has anyone replaced a Camshaft Position Sensor? is it easy to change? how much does it cost?
:wrench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.