BMW Werkz banner

Damaged 17"rims on a NEW 545i

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedy-325is 
#1 ·
Hello,

He Loves his New 545i except when he received the car one of the wheels bent not shortly after leaving the showroom. His car has the 17" wheels. Have any of you here had the same problem?

I ask this because BMW knows of the problem but refuses to pay for replacement wheels or to assist in the cost of new wheels and tires. The wheel is bent but the tire had not a sign of damage. Any info would help.

I have owned a 323i and loved that car! I have also owned a 2001 BMW R1100sa. (Great Bike) I got my friend interested in BMW's. He has owned a 2000 528i and now a 2004 545i with the 17"wheels. He has also owned several BMW motorcycles. His current one is a 2004 R1100S.

#2 ·
After leaving the showroom? What object was hit? You can't bend a rim w/o knowing it. If it was bent upon receipt, BMW should replace it.

Was a tire/wheel warranty purchased?

Was the damaged missed during/prior to delivery?

#4 ·
Who is this He that received a car with a damaged wheel ?
Nice one Romeo

I hope a Bmw dealer would never let a car go on the road with a bent wheel, or someone hit a large pothole.

#5 ·
Anyone who refuses to recognize that a lower profile tire on a larger wheel will bend easier than most will have this issue. It is not BMW's 'problem', it is the driver's fault. This is the same kind of complaint as I've seen late-model Audi drivers making about the 'faulty design' of the front air dam that prevents them from running over parking blocks. :banghead

Anyone who fails to take into account the inherent weaknesses of the car he drives is going to have these 'problems'. I have trouble generating much sympathy for them. If the car's too extreme for 'him' to drive, how about trading it for my Red Dog? It has 60-series tires and alloys that are relatively difficult for even a bonehead like that to damage.

#6 ·
That's a bit harsh. ^ I've bent a rim before.... and I don't consider myself a 'bonehead' as you succinctly put it! :eek:uch

I imagine that they are saying it is 'wear and tear' on the car and therefore not covered by warranty.

It might be repairable, otherwise he should claim it on his insurance.

#7 ·
Ahy Warp 1................you being a little hard bro............accidents do and will continue to happen.............i have a fleet of John deere tractors on our range here in NZ,with 38inch wheels and still they can get bent !!
Lucky there is a thing called insurance ahy.
Anyway.........throw on the spare and get the other one fixed.

Good Luck there.

SILVERLEA.

#8 ·
Originally posted by warp1@Jul 21 2004, 09:47 AM
Anyone who refuses to recognize that a lower profile tire on a larger wheel will bend easier than most will have this issue. It is not BMW's 'problem', it is the driver's fault. This is the same kind of complaint as I've seen late-model Audi drivers making about the 'faulty design' of the front air dam that prevents them from running over parking blocks. :banghead

Anyone who fails to take into account the inherent weaknesses of the car he drives is going to have these 'problems'. I have trouble generating much sympathy for them. If the car's too extreme for 'him' to drive, how about trading it for my Red Dog? It has 60-series tires and alloys that are relatively difficult for even a bonehead like that to damage.
Regarding a wheel problem on a 2004 545i (non-sport suspension):

My friend did not get the story quite right. I took delivery at about 1:30 p.m. on Sat. 15 May 2004. On the drive home, about 22 miles, I called the salesperson and told him that the car did not steer like my 528i, and that it had vibrations from the rear. He told me to go home and the service department would call me on Monday or Tuesday. That never happened; salesperson either quit or got fired (no one will tell me what happened, but he worked there for five years, and I purchased other cars from him).

So, when I finally got it back, the car was almost impossible to keep on the road. Two warped front rotors; two front Continental tires with slipped and/or broken belts; various other problems. One right rear 17" wheel bent. And no, I hit absolutely nothing. Some of the posts said that I might not recognize that lower profile wheels bend more easily-- thus I bought the seventeens.

Service manager told me that the tire was stronger than the wheel, and that I must have hit something. Well, let's think about that: why no bend in the right front wheel? And in the early summer, no potholes at any rate. And had I hit something, I would own up to it. The dealer tells me that they can get me another wheel, in about six (that is correct-- SIX) weeks. I need the car. They had it for ten (that is also right-- TEN) days. And then the wheel bent more. The car was unsafe (it was unable to settle at any speed about about 45-50 mph). So on goes the donut spare. And I can not purchase a wheel since there are and were NONE in the entire United States. July 21 the shipment was scheduled to arrive. So I drive on the donut at 50 mph. Not too good in traffic.

Well, I try to order another, non-matching 17" wheel, either from the dealer or from the aftermarket. None at the dealer, and the aftermarket said that 17s would not, NOT, fit on my car since BMW has had these 17s specially made to accomodate the larger brakes of the 545i.

So, I guy a new set of 18 Fittipaldi wheels, and Pirelli P Zero Nero tires, and have them road force balanced to the nth degree-- twice. And I still have tremendous vibratations about 45 mph. The car is impossible to drive for any distance.

The tire center tells me that, after checking the wheels and tires twice, they will order me a new set of tires, but they also bet a case of beer that the tires are not the culprit. I agree.

The car vibrated at the time of delivery. I brought it back. Two front rotors, two front tires were replaced. How could I have known, with those vibrations, that the right rear was also bent (and yes, when I got the car). And why no wheels available in the entire U.S. And why does the dealer refuse to order a 545i with 17 inch wheels, and only 18s?

BMW has a problem with those 17 inch wheels on 545is, and my particular car has a severe vibration problem. THe car is not fit to be driven.

Anyone have any suggestions? I need help. Thanks. Ron, Thumper5102's friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.