BMW Werkz banner

recoding my key 97 740Il

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jyep 
#1 ·
Help i attempted to recode my key and adding a new key and now neither one works. My original key worked fine before attempting to recode them both. The steps i used 1) sat in drivers seat turned ingnition to position 2 where lights come on and you hear the dings in less then 5 seconds turned key to off position and dislodged out of ignition 2.) pressed unlock button and keeped depressed while also depressing lock button three times in less then a ten second period and the let both go at the same time. I have read that the car was suppose to lock and then unlock and nothing happened except my original key will not lock or unlock my car or trunk. it did not disengage the alarm system as I can still activate it with my key manually. I attemted to recode the key several times to no avail. its not logical the key would go bad at the same time i am tring to recode my keys, help, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.