BMW Werkz banner

best tires

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jrothlis 
#1 ·
i am going to be getting the hamann hm3 rims 17x8.5 and i dont know anything about tires. oh and these will be going on a 96 328is-if that is needed info...

So what tires should i get on these rims.. i am a very spirited driver!

Thanks

#2 ·
I would recomend Bridgestone or Yokohama. Both of these tires provide sufficient ride quality and wet weather grip, but are rediculously good with regards to lateral grip, wear, and almost refuse to roll over on their sidewall. I have owned products from both of these companies (and about a half-dozen others), and would say $ for $ are the best available.

#5 ·
Get some Bridgestone G 009s. Grip good in the wet, on dry, pretty sticky. They brake nice and clean with no suprises through the corners. They're like 60 bucks a piece so a pretty decent price. Unless money is no object, then go for some S-03s from Bridgestone.

Kevin

#6 ·
I just walked into the parking garage after work and I had a slice in the sidewall of one of my bridgestones. Its only about a half inch long, but it was random. I have reason to believe it was caused by hitting coblestone or a rock or something in Philly where I work, but other than this stupid little problem, I drive like a maniac on them and they are great in all conditions. They are sticky as hell, lots of traction. I have Potenza's on my 15 in stock rims. I would definitely recommend them.

#7 ·
What model of potenzas? There's like 20 :p . Yeah mine are working excelent as well. The sidewall if fairly square so the contact patch if fairly large for a 215. Some tires curve the sidwalls a lot and it actually takes away from the contact patch.

Also, if you want cheap sticky decent tires Kuhmos Ecstas are also good for the cash.

Kevin

#9 ·
:wrench I have been selling tires for years and i depends on the size you are going to go with and how serious the driver. If you like to rally the shit out of it put the Bridgstone Potenza SO-3 on there they kick ass but not in the snow you will die. I put on the Michelin Pilot Sports A/Ss because i need to drive all years round and they last long too with better bit than cheap Japanese crap. :nana

#10 ·
I agree with the Potenza crowd. I like 'em a lot. Haven't lasted too long, but I have autocrossed them a couple of times. There's about a quarter inch to the wear bars after 6500 miles. Sorry I forget which model I have, but they're high performance all season. I think the RE950's. Also, I did survive in the snow without chains for a week. My dad recently put Kumho Ecstas on his Boxter S and my friend has them on his WRX. They both like them.

#12 ·
I honestly don't know what exact model they are, I just know they are good. I can check my records in the glovebox later on. I'm at work now. But you are right Kev, there are a lot of different potenzas. I never had a problem with them in the snow. I've actually done well with them in the snow, no chains, nothing (and we get some sick winters here in Jersey). Like I said in another post though, a lot of snow driving is the driver him/herself. Tires and drivetrain do matter, but it ultimately, I think its the driver.

You guys have experienced limited use of Potenza's, like they don't last that long?
I've been different. I know I only have a 318i with limited power, but I do a LOT of driving. I have had the tires for about a year now and I have put about 35k miles on them and they are not worn that much at all. I estimate about 85% tread left on them.

I was scared about first buying them after the whole "Firestone" tire recall from Ford Explorers and Expeditions because I knew they were technically the same company. But all has been great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.