BMW Werkz banner

My new E60 is finally here!

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  alohalc 
#1 ·
Hi guys :wave, my car is finally here after almost seven weeks waiting :sleep. Will take some pics later this week. Well, probably nothing special for most of you but at least it's a new toy for me. I want to add a powered sub in the trunk. Is Infinity basslink a good choice? I've heard this model is easy to install, good bass, and good price. I don't want/need people on the street to "feel" my bass and I'm not going to spend a whole lot for this. What do you guys think? Any other options out there?

I also want to add a aftermarket cd changer. Any suggestions? I've heard that no matter a factory cd changer or aftermarket, I still need to take my car back to the dealer and have them activate it. Otherwise it won't work. True?

I'll change the grille to chrome, rear reflectors, possibly wood shift knob, wood rear panel (the one below the ac vents), and fog lights.

Thank you in advance for all the valuable ideas/suggestions :bow. Now I gotta find all kind of excuses to drive :driving.

:bimmer

#2 ·
Nice. :drool I am an old school Bimmer fan at heart, but the newer body styles are growing on me. That being said, if someone gave me an e60, I would probably be in it for a week before opening the door to let myself out :p

As for the basslink from Infinity, it is not a bad choice. It is probably not the most cost effective amp/sub to add, but it is easy and is made by a reputable manufacturer. You could get more for less, but it would be more difficult to install.

As for rear reflectors. BMW obviously didn't take into consideration how the lack thereof would look on the North American spec cars. Adding these will certainly add to the beauty of her rear end.

#3 ·
i love the new e60

#5 ·
jllphan, i just tried out the sound system a bit by listening to a cd. i turned both treble and bass to the highest and actually it sounded alright. i think it sounds better than the e39. well, maybe it's just me . so most likely i'll leave it for now. if i can't stand for it one day, then i'll add a powered sub. but thanks for your input anyway. also, i asked about the rear reflectors yesterday when i picked up the car and the salesperson told me they don't even have that in the parts department's computer. then he called me today and they just added that on their list. kind of late but still better than never.

#6 ·
Alohalc:

Congrats on the E60. No offense to any Merc driver, but the new E-class is really disappointing (to me) in the looks department. Glad you stuck with BMW.

Although I have premium sound, I keep Logic7 turned off most of the time, except however when listening to light opera performed by Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Mario Frangoulis, Russell Watson, and others. In either case, the new sound system is more open (better treble and midrange response) and much more dynamic than the E39. Groban ("Closer" CD) sounds fantastic with the volume turned slightly high. The thrash of cymbals and bass drums comes across with a heart-pounding force, but without any of the boomy bass and boxiness of your typical teenager stereo.

Give the speakers a little time to open up (3 months) and you might be amazed at what they can do. Radio, of course, is radio. But given a well-recorded CD the sound system comes alive.

Good luck!

#7 ·
thanks, ksz. i think you must be one loyal bimmer customer :D. in fact, i somewhat agree with you. my girlfriend strongly disagreed when i told her i might get a e-class. but the new e-55 is different story. my friend has one and it's pretty cool. can't wait to see the new m5.

wow, ksz, you sound like you are one audiophile :lol:. i also want to add a aftermarket cd changer. any suggestions? i've heard that no matter a factory cd changer or aftermarket, i still need to take my car back to the dealer and have them activate it. otherwise it won't work. true?

i want to change the fog lights but i don't know the size of the bulbs and not sure how to replace them. i couldn't find these info in the manual. i've heard that the fog lights bulb is hb3/9005. is it correct? i know e39 is using h7 for both headlights and foglights. i changed my foglights on my e39 before and it was quite easy. how about the new e60? are they the same or at least similar? anyone? please advise. thanks a bunch :bow!

#8 ·
No, we're not going to help you until you post pictures of your beautiful new car ;)

...actually I don't know anything about the E60 :D But more pics would be nice!

#10 ·
Originally posted by alohalc@Jun 10 2004, 04:20 PM
thanks, ksz. i think you must be one loyal bimmer customer :D. in fact, i somewhat agree with you. my girlfriend strongly disagreed when i told her i might get a e-class. but the new e-55 is different story. my friend has one and it's pretty cool. can't wait to see the new m5.

wow, ksz, you sound like you are one audiophile :lol:. i also want to add a aftermarket cd changer. any suggestions? i've heard that no matter a factory cd changer or aftermarket, i still need to take my car back to the dealer and have them activate it. otherwise it won't work. true?

i want to change the fog lights but i don't know the size of the bulbs and not sure how to replace them. i couldn't find these info in the manual. i've heard that the fog lights bulb is hb3/9005. is it correct? i know e39 is using h7 for both headlights and foglights. i changed my foglights on my e39 before and it was quite easy. how about the new e60? are they the same or at least similar? anyone? please advise. thanks a bunch :bow!

I like the new SL convertible and somewhat agree with you on the E55. Don't know how well it drives and handles, though. I haven't been impressed by Benzes before, but the E55 is getting rave reviews. However, as far as the styling goes, I saw an artist's rendition months before the new body was introduced. The rendition was very much in keeping with Merc traditions, and truly grand and elegant. Hence I was disappointed when the real thing came out. It looks so much like the C-class and some Honda models that I have often mistaken it. It simply doesn't stand out and is oddly proportioned from rear to front. The instrument cluster is nothing like an Audi interior (Audi arguably makes some of the most inviting interiors). Anyway, I never gave the E-class a moment's consideration. I am much more impressed by Audi; the newly redesigned A6 looks very tempting (but note the whole army of buttons around the "iDrive" controller -- bad ergonomics).

I consider myself as having a mild case of audiophilitis. I won't spend megabucks to eek out the last measure of performance, but I will spend moderate sums on fine speakers and electronics. I've assembled a system that sounds so deeply satisfying to me that I have little reason to change any part of it. In fact, no part of it has changed in more than 2 years. The Premium sound in the E60 is no match for my home system, but compared to other car stereos it sounds quite good.

I don't know whether 3rd party CD changers need to be "activated", but given the tight integration with iDrive it makes sense.

#11 ·
silver4evr, did you order your body color painted rear inserts from the dealer? they look pretty cool.

ksz, i like the new sl as well. i didn't ask my friend to hand me the key for his e55 coz i don't want to mess up his $90k+ car. i think he loves his car more than his wife :lol:. but it's quite noisy due to the exhaust and bigger rims (18") and/or run flat tires. driver and passenger always have different feelings about the car. so i can't really tell you how well the car is.

#13 ·
Originally posted by alohalc@Jun 11 2004, 09:01 AM
silver4evr, did you order your body color painted rear inserts from the dealer? they look pretty cool.

I had the black ones painted.

#17 ·
thanks, ksz. i know you and a lot of others know almost everything about bimmer. however not too many can answer my light bulb question that i posted :(. anyway, i just ordered a pair of piaa xtreme force bulbs (h-259) from canada. i believe that is ok for either hb3 (9005) or hb4 (9006). i'll install them after i got them. then i'll take a few pics and post them here.

#19 ·
Originally posted by alohalc@Jun 12 2004, 12:51 AM
silver4evr, how did you get those painted? you took them to the body shop?

I had the guy who was touching up my bumper curb rash paint the inserts. He's an independent that the dealer uses and does work at the dealership in the parking lot.

I asked the service rep who was doing the work and introduced myself to him.
He did it for $25.

#21 ·
Originally posted by alohalc@Jun 12 2004, 06:36 PM
thanks, ksz. i know you and a lot of others know almost everything about bimmer. however not too many can answer my light bulb question that i posted :(. anyway, i just ordered a pair of piaa xtreme force bulbs (h-259) from canada. i believe that is ok for either hb3 (9005) or hb4 (9006). i'll install them after i got them. then i'll take a few pics and post them here.

Sorry alohalc, if I had any experience with this I would help you.

#23 ·
Hey,

Very nice ride! Congrats! Thought it was going to take 3 months, was it really only 7 weeks? Wonder if that means my wife will get her car sooner? I see Diamond Head in the photos behind your vehicle. Where'd you take the photos around Campbell Industrial Park or further out? You buy the BMW installed security alarm system or are you going after market?

#24 ·
thank you, brutis. nice to hear from you. how are you doing? i didn't order the car from germany. the dealer traded one of their cars to one of the dealers in west coast. that's why it "only" took me 7 weeks. i remember you said you special ordered the car and i don't think it'll take shorter than 3 months...especially the "hawaiian time" that we have. you gotta add 1 or 2 more days because of the pace that our local brahdahz work in the pier :banghead.

no, i took the pics at lagoon drive. i went to kakaako and sand island but too many people.

i didn't buy any alarm coz it comes with the car.

don't forget to show us some pics when your wife's car gets here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.