BMW Werkz banner

Quickie Questions 318is

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jimwww 
#1 ·
Just got my 1995 318is 5spd last friday.

1. Sometimes the key turns in the ignition switch with no resistance.. just goes round and round.. then I take it out and put it back in then it starts the car- no problem. Why?

2. The previous owner put in 15 / 40 oil all the time.. I thought 10w 30 was the norm and just wondering if you guys agree? (keep in mind here in vancouver it ranges from 40 - 80 f all year round.. rare to go below or above that.)

3. Factory radio? Should I buy an original one that was in there or stick with the 50 x 4 Pioneer CD AM?FM deck in there.. - my friend thinks I should put the orig back in.. (Pioneer - even the face plate is full of lots of dust for some reason.

4. Multi Informational Display. Mine only does temp / time / date.. Can I swap it for the one that has all the info on the display- Speed consum/dist/range etc?

My Webpage
:wave

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by jimwww@Jun 6 2004, 02:18 AM

1. Sometimes the key turns in the ignition switch with no resistance.. just goes round and round.. then I take it out and put it back in then it starts the car- no problem. Why?

2. The previous owner put in 15 / 40 oil all the time.. I thought 10w 30 was the norm and just wondering if you guys agree? (keep in mind here in vancouver it ranges from 40 - 80 f all year round.. rare to go below or above that.)

3. Factory radio? Should I buy an original one that was in there or stick with the 50 x 4 Pioneer CD AM?FM deck in there.. - my friend thinks I should put the orig back in.. (Pioneer - even the face plate is full of lots of dust for some reason.

4. Multi Informational Display. Mine only does temp / time / date.. Can I swap it for the one that has all the info on the display- Speed consum/dist/range etc?

My Webpage

Mine only does temp, time and date too. you could get a new one i bet, but im not sure how all of it would work.

on the CD thing, the 1st owner added in a sony CD player, and a 10 disk cd changer. it works well. im not sure what the pioneer ones are like. just go with what u like more. which one is in better condition?

#3 ·
"Just got my 1995 318is 5spd last friday."

Congratulations! nice color.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
40 - 80 f is not much of a range. Check the owner's manual.
10/30 should be fine. 15/40 if you're into hard driving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
How does the Pioneer sound? If it sounds good, maybe keep it. See if you can find out how to get the dust out. Is there a warranty. Maybe the previous owner can help you out. Also, you might ask the PO is he/she still has the original radio.

Maybe have the dealer tell you if it's possible and an estimate.

#4 ·
Originally posted by jimwww@Jun 6 2004, 02:18 AM

My Webpage
1. Mine does this too, could be the starter starting to go. The starter motors are very expensive to replace as they are located below the intake manifold. The problem isn't that serious yet, so just use it till it goes dead. Of course, it could be any number of other things, but I seem to have the exact same problem as you.

2. 10W30 is good, that's what I use here in Toronto. Use 5W30 in winter.

3. Factory radio is garbage. Upgrade to another aftermarket deck if needed.

4. You can't just swap the computers, even the plugs are completely different. I'm sure there's something else you need ontop of just having the actual display unit. I've tried to swap one from an M3, didn't work.

Bry

#5 ·
In regards to question 1. It is just the key- or the ignition lock - not the starter..
When I put the key in it just turns 360 degrees with no resistance- odd, then I take it out then turn it and 'viola' it acts like a normal ignition lock - turn and engine starts no problem. Weird, no other car I have had does this. (It is not every time either..)

#6 ·
Originally posted by jimwww@Jun 6 2004, 11:12 AM
In regards to question 1. It is just the key- or the ignition lock - not the starter..
When I put the key in it just turns 360 degrees with no resistance- odd, then I take it out then turn it and 'viola' it acts like a normal ignition lock - turn and engine starts no problem. Weird, no other car I have had does this. (It is not every time either..)
Gotcha, sorry I misunderstood the question.

That is an odd problem. I'll ask my mechanic tomorrow and see what he says.

Bry

#9 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Jun 6 2004, 02:50 PM
i forgot why, but 10w30 is not reccomended. 5w30 and 15w40 are factory winter/summer weights.
10W30 is usually made of a lower grade oil, that's why it's cheaper than the other weights. It works fine.

Bry

#10 ·
The ignition problem is your ignition key cylinder. It's $72ish dollars from a dealer. It's a bitch to take out. What you do is call the dealer give them your vin and order the part. Then you put your key in you ignition and then turn it to the accessory position. Then you gotta take a very straight and stout paper clip and stick it into this little hole. The hole is located on the out side of the metal part of the igintion key cylinder. Push the paper clip in about 1 3/4 inches. You may have to wiggle the key around a lil bit to get it all the way in. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! IF THE CLIP BREAKS YOUR FUCKED! Once you get the clip all the way in there the cylinder will just pop out. You pull it out and then take your key out. Put it in the new cylinder and turn to the accessory position and insert the paper clip all the way and then put it in take out paper clip turn key off and take out. Then try it and make sure it works. Good luck with it.

#11 ·
thanks the kid...

wow do you guys ever have the answers... !

I absolutely cannot get obver this car... it is truly unbelivable to drive... 450km so far on 35 liters of gas... B)

Cdn gas - 1/5th larger than a usa gallon.
4.2 liters to a gallon (by the way)

By the way when I pulled the oil stick out there is two indents. should the oil be at the 1st indent or the second indent? (mine is at the first)?
:cry

#12 ·
2nd indent. 1st indent means add a quart.

For more detailed info on oil you should read the forum oil FAQ. Click here.

#13 ·
:driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.