BMW Werkz banner

Idle problem...

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Speedy-325is 
#1 ·
Yeah... so I turn the car on back out, put the clutch in and the car almost dies, then idle shoots up to 1 grand or so... drops down lower than normal idle... goes up... goes down... I put it in first and drive. Probelm solved. Check engine light does NOT come on. What do yall think?

#4 ·
check the inner most cable on the underside of the throttle body. with your car running, there is a black tightener 3 inches up the cable, try to adjust carefully maybe 3/4 - 1 full turn. wait a second to see where the engine idles at and go from there. i had this problem after i put a new engine in, and the shop said i needed a new idle control valve when the cable was just a bit loose. good luck.

#5 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to my car. It would run fine until the engine temp.gauge got up to halfway between cold and hot. After that it would surge to about 1500-2000 rpms an then fall to about 300 rpms or just quit all together. I had alot of opinions ( idle control valve, cracked intake manifold, O2 sensor,etc. but it was the mass flow air sensor. I even took I to the stealership to get a diagnostic fault code or just troubleshoot it and they charged me 182.00 and did not even find the problem.
I would test the MFAS if your car is having similiar probs.
Matt

#8 ·
It shouldn't be your vaccum hoses. If it was, you would lose power when accelerating and throttle response would be nill. Most likely, the idle would not even hold and your car would stall.

I'd say check the ICV first and clean it out before you replace it. Then play around with the idle adjustment and raise it a little. If you still have that problem, bring it in to a shop.

Bry

#10 ·
I've been having the same problem. However, it only occurs after I have reversed and briefly acclerated the reverse, then slow before I shift into first to go forward. I lose RPMs almost down to 200 or 300. Just yesterday I stalled out doing this. Other than this, my revs seem to be fine with the exception of the occasional sputter which also seems weird. Where exactly is the ICV located? I will try playing with the idle cable a little...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.