BMW Werkz banner

What is ASC

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  thinair 
#1 ·
All right, here's my stupid newbie question of the day...
:thud

I have a 97 328iS with ASC. What the hell does it do?

:dunno

#4 ·
Yea, with my car (98 328i) you turn it on and off. When I turn it on you can actually feel everything get tighter. Definatly more traction ... try it out sometime.

#5 ·
It actually does about seven things. It generally reduces wheel spin (specifically for wet weather) by electronically monitoring and altering throttle, brake, LSD, and the other four i cant think of. In the rain it is helpful, but if i start feeling a little :devil , it instantly reminds me to turn it off prior to any further :driving as it can prevent me from testing the limits of the car...

#7 ·
I thought it was some sort of traction control but I wasn't sure exactly what BMW calls traction control. I noticed that it seemed to shift power from the wheel that was spinning to the wheel that wasn't. It really seamed to do a good job of keeping the car start.

#10 ·
Originally posted by roguesniper1+May 25 2004, 02:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (roguesniper1 @ May 25 2004, 02:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-skawful@May 25 2004, 12:11 AM
works well in rain too

btw its called Automatic Stability Control
and i believe you can turn it off in some cars
Wrong , it is called ACTIVE STABILITY CONTROL+ TRACTION

In bmw they come as ASC+T. Though usually on the button it only says ASC. [/b][/quote]
die plz.

its AUTOMATIC

why would something you can turn off and on be called active?

so when its off its inactive active stability conrtol + traction? :D

anyways... same thing

oh ya and read that thread webb posted

#11 ·
Originally posted by skawful+May 28 2004, 05:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skawful @ May 28 2004, 05:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by roguesniper1@May 25 2004, 02:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-skawful
@May 25 2004, 12:11 AM
works well in rain too

In bmw they come as ASC+T. Though usually on the button it only says ASC.
die plz.

thats asc+t

he said asc

i think asc+t is the one that cannot be turned off

anyways... same thing[/b][/quote]

Ok guy:

ASC - Active Stability Control

ASC + T - Active Stability Control + Traction

ASC when enabled it monitors the wheels and when one or both tyres lose traction because of the too much power being applied to the rear wheels, the computer alters the throttle and reduces the power to the rear wheels, to that the wheels regain traction.

ASC + T is all of the above plus traction... so when computer monitors the movement of the car and if the car starts to go out of line the computer applies brakes to individual wheels as needed. :driving

There was a speacial on BBC Top Gear a few yrs ago with the E46...
And i do believe that both can be turned off!

If you want more info .. try Google.com :D

#13 ·
Originally posted by wulley1@May 25 2004, 01:04 PM
I noticed that it seemed to shift power from the wheel that was spinning to the wheel that wasn't. It really seamed to do a good job of keeping the car start.
It does this by killing the fuel supply to the engine, so the wheel stops spinning, and once the tire stopps spining on the pavement, the sensors detect the wheel has traction because it's not spinning faster than the rest of the wheels, and allows fuel to the engine again. It does not convert power to either wheel (unless you have an LSD, in which case I'm not sure if it regulates torque to each wheel or not or the LSD is purly mechanical)

Just as a reminder, you can SERIOUSLY fuck up QUICKLY if you turn off ASC, Driving with traction control on all the time dosn't let you get acclimated with a car's ability to loose controll. I usually ALWAYS drive with it on, and if I want to slide around in an empty parking lot, or drift, THEN I will turn it off.

#14 ·
I have a 95 318is..
Traction Control- How do I know whether or not mine has it?
Do I have ABS?
:screwy

#16 ·
What about Traction control?

#19 ·
Originally posted by skawful+May 28 2004, 05:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skawful @ May 28 2004, 05:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by roguesniper1@May 25 2004, 02:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-skawful
@May 25 2004, 12:11 AM
works well in rain too

In bmw they come as ASC+T. Though usually on the button it only says ASC.
die plz.

its AUTOMATIC

anyways... same thing

oh ya and read that thread webb posted [/b][/quote]
You are a fucking Retard. Stop correcting people, if you don't know what hell you are talking about. Every traction and stability system is active, no matter what car.

#20 ·
I'm reluctant to say anything on the topic, but I found this on the BMW World website:

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/asct.htm

I'm surprised that I couldn't find more from BMW's website. I recall their being a section of the site dedicated to highlighting various safety features and such (under the Technology section) a couple of years ago, and ASC was one item. There's something similar now, but it's for Dynamic Stability Control: http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/asct.htm

#21 ·
I have it on my 98 328i but how would i know if its on or off. When i start my car the little triangular icon with the arrow going around turns on then goes away in a matter of seconds....does this mean that my ABS is on or off? Or should that triangular icon always be on in order for it to be active???

#22 ·
Originally posted by EuroBeem@Jun 14 2004, 07:46 PM
I have it on my 98 328i but how would i know if its on or off. When i start my car the little triangular icon with the arrow going around turns on then goes away in a matter of seconds....does this mean that my ABS is on or off? Or should that triangular icon always be on in order for it to be active???
in my car when i have it off the icon is lit...

umm you can totally take it off... crawl underneath the car and just next to the differential on either side there is a little black box...

this box contains two fuses.... disconnect the one that leads to the brake caliper. get out from underneath your car... start it and let the smoke show begin....

*runs back out.. starts car.. heads towards nearest parking lots and the donuts continue*

oh yeah i just figured that out today

#23 ·
Sorry to correct you guys.....but here goes.

With ASC, it is active, when it's on. It only works when it feels it has to. Like if you have wheel spin on one wheel, it applies the brakes to the spinning wheel to transfer power to the non-slipping wheel. Basically it's just trying to even out the power going to each wheel. Only a few 96's happened to have LSD and ASC, LSD was phased out quickly after ASC was introduced.

The ASC+T does happens above, but it cuts the AIR going into the engine (not the fuel, that would cause pre-detonation/pinging, slowly destroying the engine). There is a second throttle body between the air flow meter and the main throttle body that controls the airflow going to the engine if the rear wheels start to peel out. I actually removed that ASC+T throttle body because I never use traction control, and it's actually blocking the airflow into the engine. The ASC throttle body is smaller then the main throttle body.

And when you turn on the car, if you press the ASC button, you're turning the ASC/traction control OFF. With the ASC light on, ASC is OFF! And ABS is on regardless if you have the ASC on or off.

Also, if you turn the ASC off, no traction control will intervene, except the ABS. ASC is fully off and there is nothing there to prevent wheel spin except your right foot. Turning off ASC does not make it work later, it turns it off completely. If I turn mine off (when I had ASC), I could just sit there and smoke the tires away and it would never kick in. I resets itself if you turn the car off and on again.

All e36's have ABS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.