BMW Werkz banner

Window regulator

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TECH 
#1 ·
Was driving on the highway and heard some wind noise from the left rear side so I thought I would put the window down and then up. Went down fine but not up. I ended up taking it to the dealer now I am wondering if this was something simple I could have tackled myself. It is a '97 528i. Is this a common problem? Thanks.

#2 ·
Very common problem.

A more advanced DIY, but a DIY if you wanted to nonetheless: DIY Link

#4 ·
Sorry, I can't provide any additional insight. Thankfully (knock-on-wood), I have not experienced this failure yet, but know that it looms on the horizon for all of us.

Isn't it sad that I consider not rolling down the rear windows on $50k (new) car to prolong the life of a poorly designed window regulator? I suspect that it will fail at the most inconvenient time, like a long road trip, or better yet a huge cloudburst of rain...

#7 ·
OK, I finally finished the job today and I am a mechanical nitwit which means anyone can do this one! I had taken the car to the BMW dealer to diagonose the problem and they had removed the door panel (for a $45 diagnostic charge) which greatly simplified the job. Got the part for 144.50 from Boozak which put the total cost well below the $415 my friendly BMW dealer was going to charge. I must say one of the toughest parts was getting the door on with all the connections, clips, etc. I am happy to say that not only does the window go up and down but the door handle, speaker and lite all work as well. Thanks to kowached for posting the great DIY link. Without this, I could not have done it.

#8 ·
It's easier to take the window glass out. To do that, you'll have to take the outer chrome scraper seal off, remove the plastic black trim on the inside, between the window and quarter window. There, you'll take off 3 screws and the black trim comes out, and the window glass will come out no problem, unbolt it first though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.