BMW Werkz banner

Body Work

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Kevin325i 
#1 ·
Somebody hit my car in my college parking lot right before I left school. I assume it was while everyone was packing up to go home.

Anyway, getting the dent fixed is going to cost me a pretty penny ... here's the thing. I have scrathes on the plastic side skirts or whatever you call them ... where can I order touch-up paint online? The body shop that's fixing my car seems a little steep with their prices. You get what you pay for? :cry

#3 ·
What's your comprehensive deductible on your insurance? May make sense to put in a claim with your carrier.

#5 ·
Yeah that's a good idea. They can use dry ice to get rid of it (don't ask how). Also, the dealer can order touch up paint pens for you. Not sure the price, but guaranteed match. Insurance is going to cost you a pretty penny as well. Of course, if your deuctible is lower than the cost to fix it all, go for the insurance claim.

#8 ·
You're not talking about toilet bowl plungers, are you? Haha. If you are referring to the plungers that the dent people use, then yes, they do work on small dings. The touch up paint isn't going to look great, but you have to look for it to see the difference. The biggest problem with any touch up paint is if it's slightly off color. I would get the dealer kit to be 100% sure. (And I do have it)

#9 ·
www.paintscratch.com is awesome. Thanks for the link, EXACTLY what i was looking for :D

And yup, insurance would cost more in the long run. The body shop is decent, they are friends of the family and have done a good job on every other car that we've had there.

Also, where would the color code be located on a 1998 BMW 328i? I know its black, but there are two different kinds listed.

#10 ·
actually, the best way to get a correct color match is to go to a good paint shop and have them laser match the color. That way it will take into account any shift over time.

#12 ·
the best PDR method is using a hammer and and block and bashing the metal from the back into its original shape. When the metal is dented, it stretches, and therefore can't ever go back into its original shape, but bringing it just below the original line is the best. Too much and the metal will actually buldge out, which is what the suciton cups with hot glue do.

#13 ·
Actually I don't think anyone really mentioned the method I meant. El presidente is probably the closest. The guys I've found take a little metal rod inside the door panel without taking anything apart and massage the dent back out. No chips and you can't see it was there.

I saw it at a mercedes tech session in Milwaukee, this guy take a hammer (with a towel over the head) and puts like 5 dents into a brand new benz. Then he sticks the little metal tool into the door panel and massages them back out. Couldn't even tell they were there. It's a bit pricey, but it works. As soon as I find money for it i got a few to get taken out.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.