BMW Werkz banner

2004 330ci w/Performance Pkg. VS Infiniti G35

6K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  BMW-ATI 
#1 ·
I wanted to compare the 04 330ci with a Performance Pkg. to a Infiniti G35 6spd Manual. Which is a better performer and handler?

#2 ·
yo:

this comparo insults my manhood. there is no comparison, the peepee wins hands down mano. i don't get it, a ricemobile with wobbly legs compared to a teutonic knight ?? y'all crazy out there or what ?

i drove this g thing, friend bought it with autotobox (wife factor). even compensating for that particular deficiency, it's a dog that won't hunt.

peter

#5 ·
Sorry to jump in. I'm obviously new to the forum and new to BMW's. Our first is on the boat now scheduled to arrive in a few days.

But despite my excitement about having a new 330, I have no disillusionment whatsoever that this car will last anywhere near as long as my Lexus (or an Infiniti). I realize that is a sacrifice I have to make to own a BMW.

#6 ·
Originally posted by peterkulesza@May 5 2004, 06:00 PM
yo:

this comparo insults my manhood. there is no comparison, the peepee wins hands down mano. i don't get it, a ricemobile with wobbly legs compared to a teutonic knight ?? y'all crazy out there or what ?

i drove this g thing, friend bought it with autotobox (wife factor). even compensating for that particular deficiency, it's a dog that won't hunt.

peter
english?

#7 ·
I just got a 2004 Performance Package 330i a week ago. It is sick as hell.

However, I had a 350Z before this, which is basically the same car as an Infiniti G35 coupe. It was also sick as hell. The BMer will cost you more, but it is worth it. The infiniti will perform slightly faster but the handling is virtually identical between my old Z and new 330iPP. However, the trim and interior is hands down in favor of the BMer. I am in love with my 330iPP. It is just beautiful.

If money is not an issue, get the 330iPP. You will not be dissapointed.

#9 ·
Originally posted by ric330i@May 5 2004, 09:06 PM
...I have no disillusionment whatsoever that this car will last anywhere near as long as my Lexus (or an Infiniti). I realize that is a sacrifice I have to make to own a BMW.
I'm not sure what facts you are basing this statement on but if you check around the board, there are many bimmers owned by members that are from the '80's.
Some with other 200k original miles. :confused

#11 ·
Originally posted by Silver4evr+May 6 2004, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Silver4evr @ May 6 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ric330i@May 5 2004, 09:06 PM
...I have no disillusionment whatsoever that this car will last anywhere near as long as my Lexus (or an Infiniti).  I realize that is a sacrifice I have to make to own a BMW.
I'm not sure what facts you are basing this statement on but if you check around the board, there are many bimmers owned by members that are from the '80's.
Some with other 200k original miles. :confused [/b][/quote]
And I know plenty of Lexus vehicles out there with 250k + miles. I wonder who has spent less on maintenance and repairs (drastically less)?

The original question on this thread was regarding which car performs and handles better. Hands down, the BMW. But someone brought up the issue of quality.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as excited as hell that my new BMW is on the way. But this is one category (and probably the only one) where it simply will not win over the Japanese premium brands.

#12 ·
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>No question, the 330i ZHP crushes that G35.</span>One of my best friends has the G35 coupe 6MT. I have ridden in it and driven it many times. I own a 330i ZHP. Not only am I sure my car handles better in every possible way, but the Bimmer is also faster. If you search around, you'll find that the ZHP does 0-60 in 5.9, whereas the G35 does it in 6.1 All those extra horseys just don't xlate to extra speed.
Furthermore, that G35 just ain't comfortable to ride in for very long.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Bimmer gets more booty for its owner.

#14 ·
IMHO bmw,(german autos)=better performance infiniti,(japanese autos)=better quality. don't flame me,its just an opinion,and yes,i know that not all japanese cars are better quality then german cars and i also know that not all german cars perform better then japanese cars. im just saying in most cases. i my self have a 2003 330ci and i love it.

#15 ·
If you look at consumersunion.org or read the Consumers Reports magazine, it's usually the asian cars that receive the highest reliability rating. Some BMW's for some years are reliable. BMW is always marked down for being expensive to maintain and repair.

BTW, I also own a '97 Accord with 72.5k miles that I bought new and it has never needed a repair or broken down on the highway. Just regular maintenance. That's a hard record to beat.

That being said, I've always found bimmers a much more satisfying drive. Oh! That's what they mean by the saying "the ultimate driving machine".

imo.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Silver4evr@May 7 2004, 12:19 PM

That being said, I've always found bimmers a much more satisfying drive. Oh! That's what they mean by the saying "the ultimate driving machine".

I agree whole-heartedly. My Lexus (125,000 miles) is completely boring to drive, but I will be keeping it even though the 330i is intended to replace it. The way I figure it, when the warranty expiration on the 330 gets near, I'll sell it before I have to deal with the maintenance and repairs, and I'll go back to driving the old Lexus. That way I can get my one-time BMW fix and then go back to driving a reliable car without having to buy a new (or slightly used) one.

But, I'm sure all of you predict that I will be addicted and won't be able to stop at just one (BMW). :driving

#17 ·
Originally posted by ric330i@May 7 2004, 02:46 PM
But, I'm sure all of you predict that I will be addicted and won't be able to stop at just one (BMW). :driving
Exactly. :thumbs

#19 ·
dude..bmw's last so long, Id think that the infinites and lexus's last shorter then the BMW's. there are many owners here with all original engines with cars from the 66's all the way up to the 95's that have several hundred thousand miles on their car, and still runnin em like a champ. please restate your previous statement.

My car has 204k on it now...original engine and everything. I take that thing up to 6300 like everyday..you just gotta maintain em and you'll be fine.

#20 ·
I took posaession of my new 330CI with Performance Package last week. I spent 2 to 3 months trying to decide betwen it and a G35 coupe. I took many test rides, but in the end, the BMW fit, finsih and styling won me over. It cost an extra $10,000, but I am very very happy with my decision. Love the looks and the feel of the Beemer. I traded in a Z3 (3.0). The move up to the 330CI with PP was a huge leap, but I love it. the car is a pleasure to drive.

Attachments

#22 ·
spiff - i dunno about infiniti but lexus engines are excellent. My parents own a 94 LS400 with 150k miles and it drives and feels like brand new. No creaks, weird sounds, rattling, nothing.

And there landcruisers from the 60's and 70's still on the road.

#23 ·
THE BIMMER IS THE BETTER CAR>>>SURE THE INFINITI HAS A BETTER PRICE AND IT GIVES U MORE FOR YOUR MONEY>>BUT THE INTERIOR IS CHEAP ITS NOTHING MORE THAN A NISSAN>>>THE INFINITI HAS A TERRIBLE RESALE VALUE JUST LOOK AT ITS HISTORY>>I SAW A NINETY FOUR FIVE TWENTY FIVE WITH OVER TWO HUNDRED K ON IT SELL FOR TEN K>>>NOT BAD

#24 ·
I have to agree with most of your comments about the BMW being the better choice. It really depends on the individual. I too was comparing the G35 6MT with the Brembo brakes and 280 hp and the 330ci but after months of deliberation, I opted for the 330ci because BMW is a car you want to own and a G35 is a car you want to lease because there aren't that many on the road so therefore it depends on the individual and what statement they are trying to make on the road.

#25 ·
My first posting to a forum... I took posession of the BMW ZHP after many long hours of deciding between the BMW, Infiniti G35 and even the CTS. I love the looks of the G35 coupe and they are wonderful cars. I would have had to get the sedan due to having kids...(Not as nice looking) In the end, what won me over to the BMW was the fun to drive factor. Despite the cost difference, I feel it's well worth it. I don't regret my decision at all.

#26 ·
Congrats RandMan :clap2 - I acutally looked long and hard at the G35 - and I had the same dilema. I loved the look and performance of the coup...but with 2 kids it just didn't make sense (also no trunk room to speak of). The G35 sedan is nice...but just not the same - didn't have the look, the tighter/lower ride, the Brembos etc...I also considered the RX-8 (another lovely auto)...but again - no trunk...and the Volvo S40 (not yet available with M/T - so killed that...and I ended up (or will...) with the 330 ZHP. Euro delivery option also figured into my choice... Its still nearly 2 months away but I can't wait! Please post more of your impressions as time goes on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.