z3s - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
My mom is looking to get a z3 and I was wanting to get some info on them. My dad had a 1.9 back in 96, but I dont remember much about it as far as little things go. What are some major known issues? Also, what are the numbers for a 1.9 stick and a 2.8 auto. My mom really wants a automatic, but after driving my stepbrothers auto ti, I'd be afraid to let her drive a 4cyl auto if they perform equally.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
def get a stick for the 1.9. I've actually heard that the 1.9 isnt slow at all compared to other competitors. But i have heard the 1.9 isnt a great engine as their other ones.

I would recommend the 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 or the M.

Little things in the Zs, umm check to see if the gauge clusters illuminate correctly. Our M now is at the dealer gettin it fixed under warranty. The gauges light up differently, some patchy dark areas. Same thing goes to the center dash. Our M is also gettin clutch and transmission checked up since shifting from 1-2 is very strange compared to the other gears. Oh and you may save a few bucks and tell them to replace the window weather stripping and door handles as they get faded after a long period of time. (its a black plastic). Umm you might already know that the Z3 is from the E36 platform and combined with the roadster style, you may experience strange sensations as in chassis flexing. Our M rattles like a motherfker, build quality is okay, not great like the other BMWs made. I would suggest the M coupe those are nice!

I dont have any numbers for you, but the 1.9 i would presume does 0-60 in umm 8-9 seconds? i have no idea.

woobiee - Anamorphic Cycle
woobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
also some styling details changed in mid production for the Z's. in 2000 after they discontinued the 1.9, the non-M Z3's got larger fender bulges, new tail lights, and some interior upgrades. the 2000's and up Z3's look alot better imo, so i would recommend something like a 2.3 or 2.8. (the 2.3's actually had 2.5L's )

moving to Z forum
MrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
thanks for the info woobie. I doubt she could get an M tho, as i think 14-15k is what shes looking to spend.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
when i made the statement of the M coupe, i ment the Z3 coupes in general; 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 or M Z3 Coupes. They are much more sturdier and alot more solid.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by woobiee@Aug 12 2003, 07:51 PM
when i made the statement of the M coupe, i ment the Z3 coupes in general; 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 or M Z3 Coupes. They are much more sturdier and alot more solid.
i think bmw only made 2.8 and 3.0 Z3 coupes
Old 08-12-2003, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
and the M coupes

Old 09-04-2003, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
FlorIt_Z3 is an unknown quantity at this point
so the 2.3L z3 is really a 2.5L??? wow. thats crazy. wtf is up with that?

Good Friends W' poweredbyprelude and pepe

I wreck Hondas too
FlorIt_Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by FlorIt_Z3@Sep 4 2003, 10:55 AM
so the 2.3L z3 is really a 2.5L??? wow. thats crazy. wtf is up with that?
Welcome Florit_Z3!

bmw used 2.5L engines in the 323's and Z3 2.3's from 98-02 (there was never a 2.3L engine in modern bmw's), mostly for marketing purposes cause the next step up was the 2.8's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper