Z3 O2 Sensors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Kellyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello All.
I have a 96 BMW z3. Love the car. The check engine light came on and i took it in to get checked out. My mecahnic said the O2 sensors needed to be replaced. I just replaced them about 8 mos ago. So, I had them replaced for the 2nd time. On my drive home from the shop the check engine light came back on. Took it back to the mechanic and he said the O2 sensors were bad and they need to be replaced again. My concern is that this isn't the real problem. Hoping someone can give some insight.
Thanks -- Kelly
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
sounds like bullshit to me Kelly. Take it somwwhere else, they're not able to properly diagnose your car obviously.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
i smell something... since this car is OBDII, you can take it to asdvance auto parts, and they will be able to give you the diagnostic codes, and maybe an explaniation behind them
Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
make sure that the mechanic deleted the old faults in the computer. he could just be reading the old one from before. i think the car has to go through a couple drive cylces with out a problem before the engine light will go out on it's own.
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ZeeMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, that sounds like BS to me. You might want to try to verify the fault code yourself. Go to Peakes Research and get your self a code/reset tool. I have one and I know what the code is before I get to the mechanic. In fact you might want to tell the idiot Mechanic to get one himself. Sometimes something stupid as a loose gas cap can give you a false code. The dealer charges you $ to reset the code, you might as well do it yourself. By the way they also have the reset tool on ebay for a few dollars less.
ZeeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeeMe@Apr 17 2005, 06:35 AM
Yea, that sounds like BS to me. You might want to try to verify the fault code yourself. Go to Peakes Research and get your self a code/reset tool. I have one and I know what the code is before I get to the mechanic. In fact you might want to tell the idiot Mechanic to get one himself. Sometimes something stupid as a loose gas cap can give you a false code. The dealer charges you $ to reset the code, you might as well do it yourself. By the way they also have the reset tool on ebay for a few dollars less.
[snapback]333806[/snapback]
Definately make sure to have them reset the fault codes before they really replace stuff. On mine and my friends vehicles I always reset them with the tech II before I fix ANYTHING. One fault code has a tendency of setting off other fault codes if you keep driving while the check engine light is on. The only way of knowing what is really wrong is resetting it and waiting for it to come back on, and checking what are the stored codes after that.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper