z3 immobilizer (ews) firmware issue? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 05:54 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rmswenson747 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
wondering if anybody has any experience with this problem wheer the z3 suddenly won't start. in short, i think i need my ews module firmware flashed to rev 6, but before i go to dealer, i thought i would ask, looking for more info.

background: i bought a used 99 z3 roadster. the day i picked it up, it suddenly stopped starting. cranked, but wouldn't fire. had the car towed back to where i bought it.

computer indicated a 'tampering (security)' code. car ended up at a bmw dealer, who found the following: fault code 209, performed dme/ews alignment, which resolved the problem.

i have since found this on the web (http://www.bba-reman.com/bmwfaults.htm)...

ENGINE CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START
MODEL AFFECTED: Z3(E36/7) from 9/98 production
FAULT: Engine cranks but doesn't start. The fault code 209(decimal) or d1 (hex) (EWS/DME alignment) is set in the DME.
CAUSE: EWS 3D module SW version O5. has software error.
SOLUTION: EWS module to be removed which is located on the left side of the vehicle, below the instrument cluster, and replace with EWS 3D module SW version 06.(part no 61 35 4 101 593).Code the EWS module using DIS V16.0 or later.

this seems to indicate the ews needs to be flashed to rev 6. anybody out there have any experience with this situation?

thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:15 AM
n00b

skyking is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a friend bring his 97 z3 to me he had a new clutch installed and now the car wont start.I put a new battery in and check all fuses and power to relays.There is no fuel pump kicking in and no fire to plugs.
What is the dme/ews and its location.What is the trix to getting it to give codes up my reader dosent have the bmw s/w in it,Thanks for any info
been searching all nite for this info.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:13 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The firmware is not upgradeable, the EWS control module must be replaced then encoded using the latest DIS software (which is now much higher than version 16) and then the DME and EWS modules must again be realigned. The original part # for the EWS module was 61 35 4 101 593, but it has prob superceded to a different # by now and is most likely a higher version than SW6. Im pretty sure that the # I pasted will work if you call a dealership when they input that # into the system it will just automatically supercede to the newest #. Hopefully this helps.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper