Wheel Speed Sensor - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jtabeling is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Wheel Speed Sensor

Has anyone experienced hesitant transmission shifting (only at low speeds and light acceleration) being caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor. I also have the intermittent ABS, traction control and brake light problem. (2000 E38 740iL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Ok, you need to have a box service/BMW fluid and filter, BM say life seal not true 80.000 miles then every 30,000 miles there after, I had a service where they make the boxes and the head man told me this,as for the abs/trac and brake light problem this is due to a worn or broken brake level sensor, you have two one front one rear, from the front, right hand side. (UK 740 sensors) ( box service world)

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 PM
n00b

jtabeling is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Transmission was replaced 12k miles ago at 140k miles. The car was just at the dealer for an alternator replacement and I saw on the invoice that a wheel speed sensor was recommended (advisor did not mention this). Prior to alternator, the ABS, brake and traction control lights would come in every now and then and stay on until the car sat for an hour or so and was restarted.

The tranny issue just started last week and looking at various forums I saw the wheel speed sensor not only would cause the abs, brake, traction control dash light issue, but could also confuse tranny insofar as when to shift.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
True, so the other thing to consider is the PCV valve , rear top off engine (intake), if it has'nt been replaced this will cause hesitant changing.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
n00b

740owner is on a distinguished road
so does anyone know where exactly the wheel spped sensors are? my abs and asc lights came on and I would like to check the sensors first.
thx!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Have a look at RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog for a list of the parts and where they are positioned relative to other items. Not a workshop view of things, but it will give you some idea as to where to look. Marti is usually pretty much on the money with these issues, a great resource to the forum.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 AM
n00b

fiama is on a distinguished road
An automotive electronic control system receives information from a variety of sensors, processes the received information, and drives a corresponding circuit and an actuator in such a way that appropriate control operations can be performed.

BMW Accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper