What are the symptoms of a failed OSV? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM
42, The meaning of life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
What are the symptoms of a failed OSV?

I am trying to assess if my 2000 740iL OSV is gone, or at least on its way to failing. I have read that if you remove the Engine Oil dipstick that there will be minor vacuum down the dipstick tube, the idle may change or become rough.

My car does have these symptoms. If I place my finger over the top of the tube, I can feel a minor suction, but not anything like what you'd call strong. If I rapidly remove my finger from the dipstick tube, there is a clearly audible sound (from the rear of the motor) like a spring loaded valve acting.

Does a failed OSV also contribute towards premature gasket failure on the rocker covers resulting in oil leaks around the covers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
n00b

DataDave is on a distinguished road
This is the ultimate OSV/PCV/Manifold Cover guide.

I did this exactly in about 3 hrs - saved nearly $2000!

Rear Manifold Cover aka. OSV | BMW 740iL | Magnum
#3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
If I place my finger over the top of the tube, I can feel a minor suction, but not anything like what you'd call strong. If I rapidly remove my finger from the dipstick tube, there is a clearly audible sound (from the rear of the motor) like a spring loaded valve acting.

Does a failed OSV also contribute towards premature gasket failure on the rocker covers resulting in oil leaks around the covers?

So is the first observation (dip stick suction) above normal or an indicator of a failing OSV ?

Is there any connection between the OSV failing and rocker cover gasket oil leaks?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
n00b

DataDave is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I should have quoted a bit from the story, you need to click that link to take you to the story and the detailed repair instructions... But yes, that is absolutely one of the symptoms. When mine went I couldn't figure out what the sucking noise was until I read about the problem.

"Let me explain what I experienced. I had a bit of a squeal, almost like belt chatter, so I sprayed some belt conditioner on the belts but this did not cure the problem. Then my SES light came on and I read code P1159 and P1161. These codes are actually for the O2 Sensors, but I pulled the dipstick and the air was just rushing in and the idle changed a little. This is NOT normal, so I started with the Rear Manifold Cover and will see what I get."
...read more...

Here is the link again if it doesn't come through:
Rear Manifold Cover aka. OSV | BMW 740iL | Magnum

--
David Colbeth 206-264-5217 phone/efax YOUR COMMUNITY REALTORŪ
Visit my websites: www.DavidColbeth.net ~ www.YourCommunityRealtor.com

Oh, by the way... I'm never too busy for your referrals!
#5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
PCV Valve Failure. The V8 E38's suffer from PCV valve failure when they reach a certain age. The PCV valve consists of a diaphragm fitted to a housing that is fitted to the rear of the inlet manifold and when this is damaged it can cause erratic idling and excess smoke. Often mistaken for Nikasil problems in the early models, the repair is pretty straight-forward but does require a bit of patience especially when trying to get the Torx bolts out of the bellows assembly.

The biggest give away is clouds of smoke from the rear on start up,which dissipates after a minute or so, they fail approx 80-110k miles.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 09-30-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper